Source or CAD drawing for U87/U67 bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Does anyone have a good source for mic bodies/donors for U87/U67 builds? Chunger usually has them but he's been out of stock for a while. I am also interested in having some made, but I don't have the CAD skills needed to draw it up. Is there a mechanical drawing available for this instantly recognizable classic mic body design?

Thanks!

Paul

Potato Cakes said:
Does anyone have a good source for mic bodies/donors for U87/U67 builds? Chunger usually has them but he's been out of stock for a while. I am also interested in having some made, but I don't have the CAD skills needed to draw it up. Is there a mechanical drawing available for this instantly recognizable classic mic body design?

Thanks!

Paul
I think it's time to learn CAD . People don't share those designs because it takes hours and hours to draw and make it right. 

Moby said:
I think it's time to learn CAD . People don't share those designs because it takes hours and hours to draw and make it right.

Or it is time to find someone to hire. Learning CAD isn't going to happen anytime soon as I am too invested in time and money on other things.

My thinking is that since there are so many old schematics, layouts, and mechanical drawings that are public domain, I thought it was possible, albeit unlikely, to also find a drawing of mic body dimensions.

Thanks!

Paul

Potato Cakes said:
Or it is time to find someone to hire. Learning CAD is going to happen anytime soon as I am too invested in time and money on other things.

My thinking is that since there are so many old schematics, layouts, and mechanical drawings that are public domain, I thought it was possible, albeit unlikely, to also find a drawing of mic body dimensions.

Thanks!

Paul
I use Solidworks for all of my designs (bobbins, enclosures, and other mechanical parts I need) and it takes some time to learn, but Youtube has  a lot of tutorials when you need a help.  It's possible to learn it in a month. Trust me :)

CAD图纸工厂不可能透露出来的 除非你用原板拆解复刻
Translated with deepL:

There is no way to reveal the CAD drawings from the factory unless you disassemble the replica with the original board.

second post:

We also disassemble the original board and then open the grinding tool

Is this spam? I do not know. I can read chinese now. Brave new world!:cool:

Last edited:
Ruud I think that 'product' violates some limitations of this forum, among other things:
it is a blatant commercially produced imposter of an current production mic, no?
deceptive down to the carton

I agree one hundred percent. This thread was a direct instruction to promote product piracy and completely illegal.

We are talking about a "vendor" who makes no secret of what his intentions are.

These are industrially manufactured pirated products, Neumann logo and all. Possible quantities of up to allegedly 1000 per set.
This is not a handmade replica of a passionate fan, but simply predatory fraud.

This is about colleagues, neighbors, and real existences that are endangered by these criminal acts. Neumann is a small manufacturer, not an anonymous multinational concern. Even then it would not be okay.

To this day, I have not understood why intellectual property rights do not apply here in the forum for some companies such as Neumann. Here it is always pointed out to play fair. This does not apply to Neumann, as shown by the numerous threads in the "Microphones" and "White Market" categories. Here, the Neumann brand is openly used to advertise projects. What hypocrisy!

Last edited:
I totally agree that putting any brand name or logo on the "copy, clone, whatever.." is a crime. But making product to lookalike or to be close by function, dimmension or design can't be and should not be controlled by forum moderators. It's 100% responsibility of the author and all legal issues are between the holder of the patent or registered product and designer of the copied product.

amazon facilitates the exchange of 'pirated' ip to my chagrin
as does ebay and particularly ali-b, the neumann berlin replica packaging really disturbed me

these marketplaces should police themselves better

I don't think anyone is likely to effectively stop the 'piracy' of Veblen goods. The prices of the originals are often way over the top, and make it worth while for pirates to 'have a go'.
I've never had much sympathy with those who buy 'fake' Rolex watches for example. If you can't tell a fake before you buy it, then you probably shouldn't be buying a $10,000 watch!
(For UK members - remember Del Boy turning to his brother and saying - "Are you sure there are supposed to be two 'LL's in 'Rolex' Rodney?")

It's always wrong of course -- but if Neumann prices stay as high as they are, it's always going to be temptation for the pirates.

And if you're not confident you can tell a fake, only buy expensive microphones (or watches!) from authorised dealers.

Same old story --- if the deal looks too good to be true, then it probably is!

Imho all those alleged u87 clones during the years have made more damage to Neumann than this ever will. If you think about how many have bought WA, Stam, /put your favorite manufacturer here/, kits, boutique replicas instead of just buying tlm102, tlm103 which are perfectly fine mics.

Not to mention that just about any budget and modern classic is based around Neumann's capsule. Sincerely i don't think they care about these knock offs.

Latest posts

Back