AH GL2200 - worth modding ???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spunky

hi. I would like to have your guys opinion. Is it worth modifying by recapping  it for studio use at 2020. Thanks in advance

spunky said:
Is it worth modifying by recapping  it for studio use at 2020.

That was a cheap Live Sound console, when most of the consoles were still analog.
It was never a good console neither people praised it, it was actually referred as "not accepted" in many riders.

I used quite a few in Live Sound 15 years ago, I don't see any studio interest in it.
If you really want to have an analog console in the studio and want to buy a Live Sound console (because they are cheaper and easily available nowadays) get something from Midas, like a Venice, Verona or a Legend.
If you want something really good get a Midas Heritage or XL8.
Other consoles were also really good like the Yamaha PM3500 and the Soundcraft Series Five

Thanks for your vidion. I've skipped it and will be looking for something else

Whoops said:
That was a cheap Live Sound console, when most of the consoles were still analog.
It was never a good console neither people praised it, it was actually referred as "not accepted" in many riders.

I used quite a few in Live Sound 15 years ago, I don't see any studio interest in it.
If you really want to have an analog console in the studio and want to buy a Live Sound console (because they are cheaper and easily available nowadays) get something from Midas, like a Venice, Verona or a Legend.
If you want something really good get a Midas Heritage or XL8.
Other consoles were also really good like the Yamaha PM3500 and the Soundcraft Series Five

spunky said:
Thanks for your vidion. I've skipped it and will be looking for something else

The Allen and Heath Zed R16 is pretty amazing and I'm in the process of modding it.  I own a sontec 250EX and the eq on this board compares pretty well.  Its "warmer" than the sontec but doesn't have that refined sizzle from the DOA's but you have 16 of these eq's at your fingertips for less than the sontec.  I replaced the most of the capacitors in the filter sections with high quality mylar film and foil capacitors and the eq's really came alive sounding bigger, more bold and articulate while still being warm.  I rebuilt the master output with improved decoupling and bypassing with high quality capacitors.  I replaced the coupling caps with Nichicon muse bybassed by a 1/100th value Wima MKP.  I gotta say it, I love this board and my clients do too. 

The A&H boards aren't that great, but on the other hand they're generally easy to repair.  Channels tend to be individual circuit cards.

I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll never have to repair a Midas Venice again.  Those were huge pain in the a** to work on.

It's not worth nodding. I had one I used for live use and thought about putting it in the studio. For live use it's awesome. For the studio.... its vanilla at best.

The Allen and Heath Zed R16 is pretty amazing and I'm in the process of modding it. I own a sontec 250EX and the eq on this board compares pretty well. Its "warmer" than the sontec but doesn't have that refined sizzle from the DOA's but you have 16 of these eq's at your fingertips for less than the sontec. I replaced the most of the capacitors in the filter sections with high quality mylar film and foil capacitors and the eq's really came alive sounding bigger, more bold and articulate while still being warm. I rebuilt the master output with improved decoupling and bypassing with high quality capacitors. I replaced the coupling caps with Nichicon muse bybassed by a 1/100th value Wima MKP. I gotta say it, I love this board and my clients do too.
Hey, digging this old thread.
I'm about to re-cap my ZED R16. Inital idea is to go value for value with better quality low ESR caps. As well I have one dead op-amp in master section, good time to experiment with different op-amp
Is there any other place on the web where you shared more insides/photos of re-caping/decoupling.

Cheers

Back