Problem with AKG mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonolink

I've been using as a talkback in the studio an AKG cgn321 sts mic and have had no issues with it until a few days ago when the switch decided to stop working. I wrote to AKG (Harman) and Thomann (where I bought the mic 3 years ago) asking for a spare part. Harman replied: "Unfortunately the CGN321STS is a replacement product, we don't have spare parts for this product. Thank you for your understanding."

WTF?

So, I opened the mic to check the switch. It's a programmable one. I checked also that it's the switch that is malfunctioning and basically the switch has some mechanical issue.

My question is can I replace it with any switch or is this some special kind of switch? I'd really like to save the mic. Maybe there some other way to fix it?
Any ideas?

All help would be very appreciated.
Thanks
Sono

I don't see why not. Looks to be a standard dpdt momentary push button switch and that they are only using one pole/ Have you tried measuring the switch to see how it works? have you tried ting the wires together to see of the  mic un-mutes? I bet if you find one that fits it physically what ever you put in would be o.k.

Thanks for your reply Pucho :)

pucho812 said:
I bet if you find one that fits it physically what ever you put in would be o.k.

I have the same feeling. I will measure and test what you suggest and report back.

Cheers
Sono

Yes measure the switch and with the still unit open just try any other switches you have around to see if they work there.
As far as I can see in the pictures any SPST switch will work

Is the original momentary or latching?

sonolink said:
Both. It's a programmable switch so I guess there's some circuit that changes the function...

Yes the circuit changes the function but the switch itself, the electronic part, seems to be just a normal DPDT momentary switch

Try any SPDT (normally open) momentary  switch there. Just desolder the 2 wires and connect them to another switch

Latest posts

Back