+/-/0v DC circuit, from DC +/0v ---- something simple to build?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abbey road d enfer said:
So you are assessing the performance of a product by looking at its components.
Uhhhh, yeah. Don't we do that all the time? I'm not a magnetics guy but my understanding is that if the coil is not tightly wound it will have high leakage inductance and we all know that leakage inductance is v. bad for inductive kickback like SMPS do. So yes, I can look at those loosely wound coils with huge cores and judge them as being not very good for an SMPS application.

abbey road d enfer said:
Don't you know components are just a fraction of what makes a circuit tick? Design is the most important factor. You can't judge a book by looking at its cover.
I didn't make the judgement just by looking at it's cover. I saw and studied the schematic in the video (the one with the 3 separate inductors and not the one with the transformer from the datasheet).

abbey road d enfer said:
I said it's interesting because it goes against preconceived ideas, formulated by moamps who said it couldn't work, which he admitted was wrong. That's what I suggested when I wrote "I imagine where there's a square-wave, there's a way to produce rectified voltages of both polarities."
Why are you pointing out what you said and that he was wrong and dragging me into that disaster of a conversation? Are you looking for some sort of personal affirmation? Nobody cares. Do you think people are thinking "Oh, snap! That person was wrong and this person was right. Dang."? Nobody gives a rat's petard. Except for moamps for some reason (shake it off and come back dude - life's too short to be sad).

abbey road d enfer said:
I suspect you haven't checked the link provided by moamps, which gives all teh expalbnations and provides links to other articles by Analog Devices and EEtimes. If they have deemed the subject worth publishing, there must be something in there that's more than BS. Now your concerns about noise and shielding must be considered in the context of the application. There are many pieces of gear where noise is an insignificant factor (within limits). If you look at the kit
https://www.banggood.com/Original-Hiland-DIY-USB-Boost-Single-Turn-Dual-Power-Linear-Regulator-Multiple-Output-Power-Module-Kit-p-1022517.html
That one does look better because the inductors are correct. And weaving in voltage multiplier techniques is clever and worth exploring. And I said it could be useful, just not for high performance applications like pro-audio and that "not all SMPS are created equal".

But at the end of the day I still don't really understand WHY they're doing it. The whole thing would work better with a proper transformer for the reasons I gave previously. Without coupling the coils, feedback has no idea what's going on on the negative rail. It's not isolated so it will bleed noise through the ground like like a SOAB. And voltage doublers, while clever, are rather crude like a 4-stroke engine vs 2-stroke. You could get more noise at different frequencies.

Still hate it.

squarewave said:
I didn't make the judgement just by looking at it's cover. I saw and studied the schematic in the video (the one with the 3 separate inductors and not the one with the transformer from the datasheet).
So you think you're more clever than Slobodan Cuk and Kevin Tompsett. Wow!

Why are you pointing out what you said and that he was wrong and dragging me into that disaster of a conversation?
Because you have the same attitude as he had, dissing this product whilst not knowing all the factors at play, so my answer is the same.

Are you looking for some sort of personal affirmation?
Now you're projecting your own issues. I've alreadt answered moamps who accused me of the same thing. I won't repeat myself.

But at the end of the day I still don't really understand WHY they're doing it.
If you read the paper you should know.

Latest posts

Back