DC-DC Conv. 5-12V to 48V - advice needed...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L´Andratté

My plan: power 2 channels of P48 (30mA) from 5-12VDC with off-the-shelf dc-dc converter (either 5V USB, rechargeable9V NiMH block, or 5-12V wallwart, application is dual portable preamp).
I only found this one:https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Silvertel/Ag7200?qs=OlC7AqGiEDkYk2DJmVBe2Q%3D%3D

It has about 300mA output capability@5V dc in where 30mA are needed and
ripple voltage at 270mV looks not stellar (maybe capacitance multiplier in series?).

Please take a look and tell me am I on the wrong track entirely?
Is there a more suitable solution?

Thankful for any hints or insight!

L´Andratté said:
..It has about 300mA output capability@5V dc in where 30mA are needed and
ripple voltage at 270mV looks not stellar (maybe capacitance multiplier in series?)...
This converter looks good, but it is unavailable right now.  You can set the output voltage little bit higher, and place a CLCRC filter to output to remove HF ripple fully. Additionally, place it in a small metal box. Also, be aware that the USB port is limited in power, so I would use here a set of Li-ion batteries.

L´Andratté said:
I´ll try this converter when it´s available again!
The datasheet is extremely concise, so I would check two things:
Idle consumption: the datasheet says 90% efficiency, but it's at max power probably. At very low load (typically you would use it at less than 5% of its capacity), efficiency is bound to be seriously worse.
Noise: the spec data is measured in a 100MHz bandwidth, which does not mean much since the spectrum is unknown. I suspect most of the noise is more or less white, meaning that reflected to the audio BW it's much lower. However I believe that at least CLC filtering is de rigueur. IMO more important than post regulation or capacitance multiplier.

abbey road d enfer said:
The datasheet is extremely concise, so I would check two things:
Idle consumption: the datasheet says 90% efficiency, but it's at max power probably. At very low load (typically you would use it at less than 5% of its capacity), efficiency is bound to be seriously worse.
Noise: the spec data is measured in a 100MHz bandwidth, which does not mean much since the spectrum is unknown. I suspect most of the noise is more or less white, meaning that reflected to the audio BW it's much lower. However I believe that at least CLC filtering is de rigueur. IMO more important than post regulation or capacitance multiplier.

Thanks for the valuable hints!

Back