Best way to get +-0v from msps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocinante

Reading the threads about msps I am very intrigued and would like to use these for my psu's. I have on multiple occasions needed to make a split rail from a single dc source, but I was never sure which was the best approach as a google search will show you many.  So I am wondering how you guys personally are doing it?

Rocinante said:
I have on multiple occasions needed to make a split rail from a single dc source,
First you have to ask yourself why you want to do that.  In many cases a proper dual PSU is a better option. The cost of some of these smps is so low, it's a no brainer.
In my latest builds, I use three 24V smps that cost less than $3 each. Cheaper than a xfmr...

but I was never sure which was the best approach as a google search will show you many. 
There are several ways of doing it. you may want to use a resistive divider connected to a follower. Depending on current consumption, this follower may receive the help of a pair of transistors, or even use a power amp chip. Another possibility is to use a regulator that delivers half the voltage, but it may have issues, since the current sink capability of the regulator is very low. In addition, the middle voltage will not follow the possible variations of the rail. Some circuits don't like rail voltage assymetry, others don't care.
As often, there is not one best solution, it must be thought out according to the circuit it powers.

Rocinante said:
Reading the threads about msps I am very intrigued and would like to use these for my psu's. I have on multiple occasions needed to make a split rail from a single dc source, but I was never sure which was the best approach as a google search will show you many.  So I am wondering how you guys personally are doing it?
As Abbey shared there are multiple ways to skin this cat and no one best.

I recall at least one dedicated IC designed to serve as voltage divider and buffered synthesized ground, but it never enjoyed enough design-ins to survive the sharp pencil accountants.

JR

Latest posts

Back