Cheap Pyle PDMIC78 SM57 knockoff modded with Shure transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LiquidColor, thanks for that great comparison.  Wow, that is a really nice contribution to this site.  Like other people said in the YouTube comments, the increased treble response of the Pyle PD78 makes it seem more articulate, but I noticed that it might also be missing the depth (bass frequencies) of a true 57.  Its hard to tell by listening. It could just be that the extended highs make it hard to hear the depth of the Pyle Mic.

Thanks, nice work!

I have a couple of questions, if you don’t mind. 

1. Was there any difference in gain (volume level) between the two mics?

2. Did you mark the mic placement on the cab and make sure that you were in the exact same place, pointing at the exact same part of the speaker? 

As you are probably aware, changing the placement of the mic, even a little, can cause a drastic change in the frequency response.

liquidcolor said:
I’ve done a quick and dirty comparison of a Pyle PDMIC78 with an added Shure  51A303 transformer vs. a legit SM57.
I would bet the Pyle mic iuses a 200-ish ohm capsule, that normally would not require a transformer. The result is lack of bass and increase in level, which is exactly what you found/expose. I suggest you just disconnect the xfmr and connect the capsule directly.
While you're at it, I also suggest you disconnect the xfmr in the SM57. the result is a drop in level of about 6dB, which is not an issue when micing cabs, but the sound really opens IMO. Beware that if you use it on snare, there will be a significant increase in hi-hat bleed.

Latest posts

Back