Through hole RMS detector

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebird

Anyone know of a current through hole RMS detector equivalent to the now obsolete THAT 2252? I know I can use the THAT 4305 analog engine but the package is so small. Yes I can solder it fine, but it bugs me that I HAVE to use this one SMD part on my board. :mad:

Thanks in advance.

Just saw the AD536, which is $20 at mouser. Anyone used the AD536 in a compressor application?

Hi Bluebird,

The AD536 is used in the SSL 4K channel dynamics card;

Have a look at the 4KCC thread here:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=45348.0

Best regards,
Rogy

bluebird said:
Anyone know of a current through hole RMS detector equivalent to the now obsolete THAT 2252? I know I can use the THAT 4305 analog engine but the package is so small. Yes I can solder it fine, but it bugs me that I HAVE to use this one SMD part on my board. :mad:

Thanks in advance.

Just saw the AD536, which is $20 at mouser. Anyone used the AD536 in a compressor application?
AD536 outputs a voltage proportional to the input voltage. The 2252 delivers 6mV/dB, which perfectly matches the Blackmer VCA's 6mV/dB gain law (decilinear law).
When using an AD536, one is faced with the need to provide the decilinear conversion. It is feasible, using transistor arrays, but not an easy task.
I've made an adapter board for retrofitting. It uses only the RMS part of a 4305.

Attachments

• 4305 board.jpg
    4305 board.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 27
Back