Mounting/Securing Triad Transformer in DBX160X

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamondj421

I haven’t been able to work since this quarantine started so I’ve had to sell a bunch of gear. My 2nd DBX160X is the next to go. I knew that a previous owner had added a transformer but didn’t know what kind because it had been wrapped in red electrical tape. I took off the tape (which peeled off some of the finish) and saw that it’s a Triad J-67A. I can’t recall the proper term but it doesn’t mount to the PCB so it’s just resting next to stock transformer (not sure which is input/output). Whoever did the mod had it surrounded by some type of foam that had rotted. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could mount this or secure it? Also, why would they have wrapped the transformer in tape? Is there a benefit?

Attachments

• DBX160XTran.jpg
    DBX160XTran.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 39
I’d suggest that you use an appropriately sized capacitor clamp to secure the transformer to the chassis. I don’t recall the diameter of the Triad A series offhand, but it’s probably anywhere from 1.25 - 1.5 inches.  Mount it upside down with the wires coming out the top.

Antique Electronic Supply (tubesandmore.com) sells those clamps in many sizes, or at least they used to:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/capacitor-clamp-2-diameter

if you can’t find your size there, Mouser, Newark, Digi-key etc all sell them.

wow I wonder if the unit hums or has issue with the output transformer being that close to power?

At any rate as suggested a clamp will do you.  You can even make one with parts from your local hardware store.  Other options are the transformer itself is designed so that you use a mounting  hole  which the bottom goes through and then using a washer and nut  to hold it in place. I assume the nut is missing? So use a clamp that would do you.

Or option 3, IIRC the transformer is optional and that you can have jumpers by passing it, if that's the case, remove the transformer and put the jumpers back in. From there sell them as separate items.

pucho812 said:
wow I wonder if the unit hums or has issue with the output transformer being that close to power?

Seems a given, it must induce hum. 

Thanks for the ideas. I’m going to see if I can find the bracket. I’m sure Don Audio has something but don’t really feel like waiting a month for a part to come from Germany. I was considering taking it out and selling it but it doesn’t look like they go for much (even with the finish still in tact. ) Figured it would be worth more in there. People seem to love the word “Modded” on those used gear sites. Lol. Oddly enough, I’ve never noticed any hum. Now that you mention it though I really want to plug it back in and check.

Definitely would induce hum especially that close with that distance the wires have to go. If you can see if it will fit on top of the pcb or if there is a place way closer to the transformer ins on the pcb where you could possibly cut out a space.  Zip ties work great too.  If nothing then get some shielding between your power xfmr and the output transformer.  FWIW those units are great without the xfmr. I have two and use them a lot.

Yea. The other that I had didn't have a transformer and honestly, until I opened this one up for the first time, I had no idea it was in there.

Latest posts

Back