Decision Science.. "Hacking your mind"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
There is an interesting show (series) on PBS called "Hacking your mind", they explore the work of Kahneman and other experts about how the human mind makes decisions. Good stuff to know, IMO.

JR

PS: Check you local schedules but I think there is showing this afternoon.

[edit- I just watched the episode I recorded last night and it is a cliff notes version of Kahneman's fast thinking/slow thinking book. This reveals important characteristics of human decision making... not "what" to think but understanding "how" we think (make decisions).. Good information to understand so we don't get played by marketers or heaven forbid politicians.  /edit]

fazer said:
I liked his book.  I’ll watch for it.  Thanks!
If you read the book there will not be any surprises in there, but the video presentation is more compelling and will appeal to younger people who are more visually influenced.

One segment that was timely was a review of Oakland police body cam footage revealing subconscious evidence of "driving while black" syndrome during police stops. The language used during stops with black drivers was statistically different. Making police aware of their subliminal biases should help them manage them. Nobody thinks they are biased, but we are hard wired that way by evolution.

Researchers in experiments with children revealed "us/them" biases in children only 5 years old. Too young to be programed by their parents, and with artificial grouping differences related to shirt color. 

Very powerful concepts we all need to understand.

JR

I watched some of the sample clips on the website. Looked really interesting.  I can't watch the whole programmes cos I'm in Europe, which is a shame.

The bit about police language on black Vs white driver traffic stops was bonkers.

rob_gould said:
I watched some of the sample clips on the website. Looked really interesting.  I can't watch the whole programmes cos I'm in Europe, which is a shame.

The bit about police language on black Vs white driver traffic stops was bonkers.
And apparently subconscious, but making the police aware of their wired in bias should help them reduce the unintentional confrontational messaging while interfacing with citizens during traffic stops and whatever.

Not systemic racism per se, but evolutionary (fast thinking) racism.  Luckily humans are capable of slow thinking so can be made alert to such bias and alter archaic patterns of behavior.

JR

PS: Sorry if I'm too optimistic.  8)

The second episode was less satisfying to me... Apparently George Bush pioneered using decision science, and Presidient Obama dabbled in it, but president trump is using it to win elections.  ::)

I see some of the famous big name advertising "decisions science" experts working for both political parties (one of the biggest worked for Hillary). I guess I shouldn't be surprised that PBS would have a viewpoint regarding this.

Still educational, but I suspect even they have an agenda, running this series right now and assigning blame to mostly republican winners.  The losers used these techniques too, just had a less effective message.
===
I would like to see more work done on the DWB revelations to educate officers about their own biases, and accuracy of social media posts.

JR 

Latest posts

Back