Matador/Studio 939 C12 Clone with low output volume.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camarada78

This week i've built the c12 clone using my Apex 460.

I retained the capsule (dont have the money to change now) and the transformer (it was pretty linear and usable) and i'm using a RCA tube.

Everything went smoothly. Adjusted the supply heater, bias and +B as per description (6.3v, -1.00, +120v) without any issues.

On the mic itself I got 6.1v, -0.8 and +119) not too far from specs.

But the output volume was very low.

So i thought it could be the low +B. The original circuit i think worked around 180-190v, so I altered the pots to get 6.3v on the tube (6.5v from PS), and went to max I could get from the PS (152v), receiving around 150v on the mic itself.

The volume improved a lot, but still a 'quiet' microphone. Should work fine on drums but not for all types of vocals.

My question is, is it possible to go above that voltage? Any tips? Am I missing something?

I reworked a 460 to a C12-ish mic using mark-o-matics instructions. It has very high gain and is very sensitive (in a good way)....best sounding vocal mic i have and tons of gain. I'd expect the 939 version should have a good amount of gain.
Btw: I was considering ordering the 939 PCB's. Is this site still in business? I sent a message on the site but no reply.
Good luck-
pat

Latest posts

Back