Front panel painting tone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY X

Hi,

Usually, and regarding studio users, a front panel should be painted in Brilliant, matte or satinated?

¿what is the most usual finishing?

Jay x

I think matte or satin finishes are the most common. Brilliant is likely to be too shiny and lead to difficulty in reading the legend.

Cheers

Ian

Hi!

For the box, the same... with respect to making catalog pictures. I have matte and satin black.
I will test satin on a sheet of metal, to see how it shines...or not.

Jay x

For catalogue pictures lighting is key. Best to use a diffuse source to prevent glare and never use flash. I have an LED disc with diffuser that sits round the nose of my camera. It has selectable intensity and colour. Less than$20 from China.

Cheers

Ian

Hi!

¿Is there a method to make spray painting over metal more resistent? I mean, just a primer is not enough to avoid  the color layer to chip off a bit. ¿would it be better to furnace dry the spray paint? ¿or use car colors and a furnace?... Obviously powder coating would be the best option, but for small quantities there should be a way to make the paint last longer... ¿Any idea?

Jay x

sometimes a top coat can help. I use waterslide decals on guitar pedals and "seal" them with a spray lacquer of either satin, semi-gloss, or flat. (been liking the flat lately)

I just started making powder coating in my shop and the results are quite better than any other paint I've tried, had a hard time to even make a little scratch.

I just started making powder coating in my shop and the results are quite better than any other paint I've tried, had a hard time to even make a little scratch.

+1

¿what is the most usual finishing?

UV luminescent engravings on old flickinger desk might take the award?

For sure a high gloss powder basecoat would need a matte or non-gloss topcoat.  8)

Back