Seeking Advice on Starting a Tech Business in this Day and Age

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjb5191

I was wonder if anyone had constructive advice for this endeavor beyond "don't do it".  I'm looking for marketing strategies, finding efficiencies, leveraging the knowledge of others, etc...

Location Location Location.

In the tech buciness, getting a reliable customer list of good customers that want jobs done right is not easy, especially if you have even a single good local shop. There aremany people you dont want to work for. I run a full time repair business (audio gear only) and it is NOT an easy gig. And its taken years of work to build a reputable list of customers and repeat business.

iampoor1 said:
Location Location Location.

In the tech buciness, getting a reliable customer list of good customers that want jobs done right is not easy, especially if you have even a single good local shop. There aremany people you dont want to work for. I run a full time repair business (audio gear only) and it is NOT an easy gig. And its taken years of work to build a reputable list of customers and repeat business.

I believe it, I can see a challenging road ahead but it's what I love to do.  Well, do you mind divulging something about how you built a reliable customer base?  What marketing strategies did you use?

mjrippe said:
Where are you located and what is your background?

I'm afraid if I divulge my location I will be outcompeted before even starting.  I live in an area that has been desireable to move to (especially post covid) and the locals here aren't looking for more out of staters to raise rents, home values, and property taxes further.  lol.  Where I am is a good opportunity because the legacy shops have all closed down in the area and the area is growing.  I will be keeping overhead low by working out of my home and not spending on a strorefront.

I am fairly young and I'm a chemical engineer by education and have worked in Engineering and Science related fields for about 8 years but mostly on the hands on "tech" side.  Machine and instrument setup and calibrations, control systems, etc...Im also a musician and my curiousity with the electrical side began early so I've built and repaired quite a few pieces of equipment at this point (including customers) but it's always been by word of mouth and not something I've gone public about or made to be official.  That being said, I'm not a top master tech and I have some gaps in my abilites.  For example, I don't have any alignment tapes to do reel to reel alignments.  I also don't have deep design and circuit theory knowledge but I understand opamp circuits fairly well and I can work my way proficiently through basic tube circuits like those found in guitar amps or preamps.  However, I have a high quality soldering and desoldering station and am proficient with those.  I have a nice Techtronix scope and can use it efficiently.

Still, knowing location is needed in order to answer with any degree of weight..

Europe, USA, Asia?

And what sort of tech business are you up to? Repairs? Producing stuff, in which case for what segment? OEM?

What are you good at, what do you find interesting to work with?

I fail to see any objective scenario where you could be "outcompeted before even starting" - this slightly paranoid angle would probably be one of the least productive ways to approach building a trust-based relationship with your potential customers. A trust that will be your primary asset in just about any business related to audio/music as the industry looks these days.

/Jakob E.

rjb5191 said:
I believe it, I can see a challenging road ahead but it's what I love to do.  Well, do you mind divulging something about how you built a reliable customer base?  What marketing strategies did you use?

Being extremely patient,and having a number of years to build the list.I have done virtually zero marketing,all word of mouth. I can also confidentially say that I am not planning on staying in the repair business or doing it as my only source of income as its been incredibly difficult and very low paying. I am not trying to discourage you, this business is just not very glamorous after doing it a few years haha. And I can guarantee that I make a fraction of what you make as a formally trained engineer and Im the main guy in a city of 250000 in California...with no other repair shops within an hour drive (Plenty once you get to the bigger cities around me like SF Bay). If you are going to do it,I would recommend focusing on a niche with money in it.I have started doing mixing console installs and on site studio repair,and that has been far more profitable than almost all of the repair work I would get in.

rjb5191 said:
I was wonder if anyone had constructive advice for this endeavor beyond "don't do it".  I'm looking for marketing strategies, finding efficiencies, leveraging the knowledge of others, etc...
I have started several businesses over the years and in my judgement in some ways it is easier now than in the past, but in other ways it could be harder.

Almost any time I think of some gadget I need, I find one for sale from Amazon... (almost).

The WWW makes direct sales far easier... Back in the 70s I had to actually advertise and mail out catalogs, now you just need to build a kick ass website.

If your idea is so easy you can't share it, maybe you need a different concept with a higher barrier against competition.

Have something unique to sell (like a drum tuner that doesn't suck).

Good luck... Just do it...

JR

I think your overthinking it.

Build yourself a simple website describing your specialties, and what you can service, give your hourly rates with a free estimate. Make it pretty with pictures of vintage gear and a nice workbench.
Then go to all the band practice places and studios in town and hand out cards or flyers with the website info.
You should have a broad supply of standard parts to start. With Mouser and Digikey you can somewhat buy parts on the fly according to a specific job and build from there.
Then just see where it takes you. This seems like the most logical and cost effective way to do it. In fact I see no other practical way.

gyraf said:
Still, knowing location is needed in order to answer with any degree of weight..

Europe, USA, Asia?

And what sort of tech business are you up to? Repairs? Producing stuff, in which case for what segment? OEM?

What are you good at, what do you find interesting to work with?

I fail to see any objective scenario where you could be "outcompeted before even starting" - this slightly paranoid angle would probably be one of the least productive ways to approach building a trust-based relationship with your potential customers. A trust that will be your primary asset in just about any business related to audio/music as the industry looks these days.

/Jakob E.

Ok folks.  I was kind of joking a bit about my location.  Its a Montana thing.  Im in the USA near Missoula, Montana.

My business will encompass repairs, modification, and custom builds. 

I'm good at soldering and desoldering.  Im decent with troubleshooting.  I'm decent with mechanical/fabrication.  I'm lacking in deep design knowledge.

I've worked on anything from microphones (cleaning dynamic diaphragms, re-attaching coil leads) to mixing consoles and guitar amps.  I like them all.  Like I said, I'm less experienced with Reel to Reels (I don't have any alignment tapes) and turntables.

Like I said, I was kind of joking about that. ;).

iampoor1 said:
Being extremely patient,and having a number of years to build the list.I have done virtually zero marketing,all word of mouth. I can also confidentially say that I am not planning on staying in the repair business or doing it as my only source of income as its been incredibly difficult and very low paying. I am not trying to discourage you, this business is just not very glamorous after doing it a few years haha. And I can guarantee that I make a fraction of what you make as a formally trained engineer and Im the main guy in a city of 250000 in California...with no other repair shops within an hour drive (Plenty once you get to the bigger cities around me like SF Bay). If you are going to do it,I would recommend focusing on a niche with money in it.I have started doing mixing console installs and on site studio repair,and that has been far more profitable than almost all of the repair work I would get in.

Thank you  for sharing. Well, I guess I will consider doing some marketing in this case and look into remote repairs as well.  I feel resigned to the fact that its not a very glamorous job and that I will likely need other income sources.  There is less population here but there is a decently vibrant music scene here when not in pandemic mode. 

JohnRoberts said:
I have started several businesses over the years and in my judgement in some ways it is easier now than in the past, but in other ways it could be harder.

Almost any time I think of some gadget I need, I find one for sale from Amazon... (almost).

The WWW makes direct sales far easier... Back in the 70s I had to actually advertise and mail out catalogs, now you just need to build a kick ass website.

If your idea is so easy you can't share it, maybe you need a different concept with a higher barrier against competition.

Have something unique to sell (like a drum tuner that doesn't suck).

Good luck... Just do it...

JR

Just do it.  Best advice; Thank you!

bluebird said:
I think your overthinking it.

Build yourself a simple website describing your specialties, and what you can service, give your hourly rates with a free estimate. Make it pretty with pictures of vintage gear and a nice workbench.
Then go to all the band practice places and studios in town and hand out cards or flyers with the website info.
You should have a broad supply of standard parts to start. With Mouser and Digikey you can somewhat buy parts on the fly according to a specific job and build from there.
Then just see where it takes you. This seems like the most logical and cost effective way to do it. In fact I see no other practical way.

Thank you; that's what I'm talking about!  This is very practical advice and is pretty much what I'm doing right now.  I definitely see needing to hit the street and connect with people face to face at concerts, etc...2 day FedEx from Mouser has been pretty awesome and has been quick enough from me.

Latest posts

Back