Teac 144 Capstan Motor Noise

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey guys!

I have a very nice condition 144 that has recently been cleaned and serviced and is sounding pretty darn good considering how old it is.  However, I'm getting this odd static-y/whine noise from what I believe is the capstan motor.  If I pull a tape out, it's clean and sounds great, so it's only when the motor is spinning up.  Alternatively, if I spin the motor up and down fast on playback using the varispeed control, it goes away too until the motor settles in at the new speed...

I don't imagine this was a common thing with these old units?  If anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Sig

Siegfried Meier said:
Hey guys!

I have a very nice condition 144 that has recently been cleaned and serviced and is sounding pretty darn good considering how old it is.  However, I'm getting this odd static-y/whine noise from what I believe is the capstan motor.  If I pull a tape out, it's clean and sounds great, so it's only when the motor is spinning up.  Alternatively, if I spin the motor up and down fast on playback using the varispeed control, it goes away too until the motor settles in at the new speed...

I don't imagine this was a common thing with these old units?  If anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Sig
I am not familiar with that particular unit but have messed with cassette decks over the years.

Look for a small capacitor across the motor DC connection, may be right on the motor. If that cap is open you could be getting noise from the brushes.

Another possibility is the deck motor may have a tachometer, that generates a square wave or pulses related to motor speed. If that tach signal is leaking into audio, that might be what you are hearing.

Check a schematic to suggest where to look.

JR 

Siegfried Meier said:
Hey guys!

I have a very nice condition 144 that has recently been cleaned and serviced and is sounding pretty darn good considering how old it is.  However, I'm getting this odd static-y/whine noise from what I believe is the capstan motor.
Is it mechanical or electrical noise? Does it do it with all cassettes?

Latest posts

Back