Connection woes and the happy surprise

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingston

The single worst enemy of any electrical system is the connection failure. Of all connection failure variants my worst enemy - and I suspect many of you as well - is the patchbay - whether cables themselves or their corroding connections. The second prize goes to the rotary switch which I have grown to hate with a vengeance.

But today was a happy surprise. Yet another patched channel sounded like a broken connection with a 6dB drop as usual with a fully balanced setup. I set out to do the usual debug round...

Turned out to be the first tired tube of my life! The 6dB drop was purely accidental and unrelated to anything. I have broken tubes by design error, a bad build, the wrong tube in the wrong place and so on. But after almost 15 years of servitude a tube in NewYorkDave MILA-1 had its sunset.

Thanks Tung-Sol 12AV7, it was nice having you around.  :'(  8)

But after almost 15 years of servitude a tube in NewYorkDave MILA-1 had its sunset.
Gosh has it been that long?  I wish NYD's website was still up (haven't checked wayback).

I've been having almost non-stop patchbay woes. Had to clean connection several times. It's been especially happening on the channels I put a new build on so I ended up troubleshooting it for a long time for a problem that was patchbay related. So frustrating.

Back