Simple AC line filter on a power strip
« on: September 26, 2020, 06:17:31 AM »
hello and I hope you are all safe and sound...

I would like to hear your opinion installing a simple AC line filter ( a simple 100nf cap) into a power strip. I have this (attached) and just out of curiosity I opened it. It has a circuit breaker , a switch and 8 individual sockets. Interestingly as seen on the pic the wires at the end of the last socket just been chopped off and left like that. I am wondering is it a good place there to put a 100nf MKT cap? 

Is it worth it at all? Some say you need to put 100nf caps on each individual sockets...?

If any of you have done anything similar or tested this, would like to hear your input or opinion :)

Many thanks for your suggestions in advance...

abbey road d enfer

Re: Simple AC line filter on a power strip
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 07:04:33 AM »
hello and I hope you are all safe and sound...

I would like to hear your opinion installing a simple AC line filter ( a simple 100nf cap) into a power strip. I have this (attached) and just out of curiosity I opened it. It has a circuit breaker , a switch and 8 individual sockets. Interestingly as seen on the pic the wires at the end of the last socket just been chopped off and left like that. I am wondering is it a good place there to put a 100nf MKT cap? 

Is it worth it at all? Some say you need to put 100nf caps on each individual sockets...?

If any of you have done anything similar or tested this, would like to hear your input or opinion :)

Many thanks for your suggestions in advance...
You should put specific capacitors there. They're called class-X. Most modern gear already has X and Y capacitors, so adding them to a power strip may not do much.
Y capacitors are connected between Line and Earth and between Neutral and Earth, for protection against common-mode EMI.
X type are between Live and Neutral and protect against differential mode EMI.
Who's right or wrong is irrelevant. What matters is what's right or wrong.
Star ground is for electricians.

JohnRoberts

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 10:19:22 AM »
+1 one only use capacitors designed specifically for that application, to avoid dangerous failure modes. These capacitors use specific technology with benign failure modes, because all components fail.

Another common problem with cheap power strips is the standard over voltage suppression devices can get leaky over time and dump leakage current into safety ground. I encountered a weird issue in my old house that lacks 3 circuit outlet wiring. I was using one of those rogue outlet strips for several kitchen appliances. The current leaking into the floating safety ground energized the chassis ground of my kitchenaid mixer. It was not enough current to be dangerous but it was enough that I could feel it. I have since run a safety ground wire to the outlet in my kitchen by the sink and one in my laundry room, that the dishwasher and washing machine plugs into. I also use GFCI outlets for any mains power near water.

JR

PS: For too much info I got shocks in my shower from my hot water heater when it rusted through the heater box and energized the hot water, now that's hot water. The replacement water heater and copper plumbing is now ground bonded.   

Don't only half-ass tune your drums. Visit https://circularscience.com to hear what properly "cleared" drums sound like.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 12:00:51 PM »
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I really appreciate your thoughts. I think I will leave it for no, wont touch the socket. The gear I was about to plug into all of them has a filter cap at the AC line... shouldve check that first.

:)