• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1195 RCA 86-AL/86-A Compressor Interstage Transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martan

Brand new from Sowter. 1195 RCA 86-AL/86-A Compressor Interstage. Beat the wait! THis one took me 20 weeks to get after ordering.
High performance transformer for repair or reconstruction of the RCA 86-AL or 86-A Compressor. 30% Mumetal 70% M6 core transformer in Mumetal can. Will fit into original 78 x 100 mm can. Impedance ratio 10k+10k/20k. Colour coded leads.

By the way, I ordered this by mistake instead of the one for the BA-6A and realized it 20 weeks later :'(

$200. You pay shipping. I am located in Kentucky.

Some pics. Dimensions are 2 13/16 x 2 3/8 x 1 1/2 tall. Bolts are 3/8 inch long and are spaced 1 3/8 by 1 3/4 on center.

Attachments

• IMG_2619 copy.jpg
    IMG_2619 copy.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Thank you for the tip. Will look into it.

All the best,

Marty

This one is a step down, the BA-6 is a 1:1.  IIRC.  Sowter may have done something different.....likely....

EmRR said:
Yes!  But that's not what's in an 86!

That's why I was suggesting this might work in his BA6a build, because it is 1:1. I think it also has higher impedances than their Ba6a transformer, which is something I think you suggested was a flaw in their BA6a transformer.

Rob Flinn said:
That's why I was suggesting this might work in his BA6a build, because it is 1:1. I think it also has higher impedances than their Ba6a transformer, which is something I think you suggested was a flaw in their BA6a transformer.

Have you seen this thread? They tested the Sowter and said it performed well;
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=55693.20

Rob Flinn said:

Gotcha.  Yes.  A flaw to some, a difference for certain.  The larger wire and lower DC resistance will make any of the new windings behave differently since current flow, plate voltage swing, and plate impedance swing won't be the same.  Does it matter?  You'd have to live with both for awhile to know. 

Latest posts

Back