Using RADAR as standalone converters

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iampoor1

Hello

SO I know this question may seem slightly silly or dense...but how do you set up a RADAR system (Believe the software version is 3.44) to function as standalone converters into pro tools via lightpipe? I have a friend with a RADAR setup, and right now he is able to digitally transfer all 24 tracks over the ADAT IO, but is there a way you can set it up to spit all the audio received and sent straight over lightpipe?

Thanks!

Rob Flinn said:
Doesn't it put any analog recieved straight out on adat anyway ?  Not sure with radar, but that is what my tascam mx2424's do.

It doesn't, which is what I assumed it did. Can transfer via adat once it's recorded. I am assuming there is an option to enable the audio to go straight out the adat outputs...but don't get where it Is!  ;D

Is there a way to monitor input? then you could in theory have it as a pass through to go straight to the adats connections.

For example with slow tools, I can have analog in and monitor input, and have the output be digital so without having to record anything in pro tools, sound goes in and out to the digital connections.

I've heard they are great converters but was always under the impression they were for live use, then the tracks were dumped into the daw for post.

You can definitely use the RADAR's analog inputs as a front end for a DAW. I tried it a few months ago with mine, I think it was as simple as putting it into record mode (without actually starting recording).

Rocinante said:
I've heard they are great converters but was always under the impression they were for live use, then the tracks were dumped into the daw for post.

No you can edit with it.  But their software is not as fancy for editing. The new radars install a daw of your choose so you can still use their converters but be a regular pro tools system

It started out as a luxurious digital replacement for the analog multitrack. Of course, the older RADARs are no match editing wise against a modern DAW.

But the converters were always stellar, even the original 16 bit Otari RADAR from 1994 holds up pretty well sonically today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVnCgoAKqeg

Radar outputs to the digital converters continuously. Depending on which Radar you have, the connector types will change. I have Radar 2 and the universal format converter so I can output to ADAT.

Don't know why it won't stream right out of the (IZ adat card?)

Anyway, I've used both an older unit with TDIF and a "V" (less older) with AES outputs and they both can simultaneously stream digital output, so I assume ADAT too. (and you can monitor latency free right out of the Radar D>A's at the same time. So helpful) 

These functions would be under the i/o menu>digital i/o>ADAT
Somewhere in that area too (i/o menu) there is a specific "digital input select" or something like that where you can select specific channels that you can record into the computer and which ones will be monitoring incoming information from the computer. If you've selected "ADAT" for your digital i/o, it might be that you haven't selected which inputs to 'disarm' from incoming ADAT, so you can record into the computer. Each channel of Radar can only go one way or the other.

Is it an adrenaline or adrenaline plus? I can't remember if that matters, but I think too far back, like Radar II, I don't remember being able to select tracks individually that could go into/or out of the computer. It was either all streaming in, or all monitor incoming. But I think yours is an OS around 2002 or so? Should be able to select tracks individually for which way they go.

Back