ALTEC 15095A keys to pedal idea

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masuto

Hi there everybody. I’d like to use this transformer to create a reamp, balanced/unbalanced to unbalanced box. The idea behind it was to add some guitar pedals (high Z input) in my mixer’s fx loop, to use with keyboards. The Altec can convert 150 or 300 ohms to 15K ohms. Will i need any extra components or can i just use the transformer 150 in > 15K out and thats it?

Masuto said:
The idea behind it was to add some guitar pedals (high Z input) in my mixer’s fx loop, to use with keyboards.

Hi,
you don't need a reamp box for that, just use cables with one conductor and shield and TS jacks for that.
The same cables used for unbalanced instrument signal.

The FX send from the mixer will be Low impedance going into High impedance which is fine.
Then the output of the guitar pedal will be low impedance going into a Line level input, which is fine also

Masuto said:
Hi there everybody. I’d like to use this transformer to create a reamp, balanced/unbalanced to unbalanced box. The idea behind it was to add some guitar pedals (high Z input) in my mixer’s fx loop, to use with keyboards. The Altec can convert 150 or 300 ohms to 15K ohms. Will i need any extra components or can i just use the transformer 150 in > 15K out and thats it?
Going from 300r to 15k increases level by 30+ dB. Guitar FX pedals are designed to work at about -20 dBu. This is a patent incompatibility.
In order of importance, level comes before impedance.

I go directly all the time from mixer sends into guitar pedals. The output Level is easily attenuated in the mixer, with the send level pot. It works well for me and a lot of people use it this way also.
I would suggest you to try that first.

If you really still want to do a Reamp box check/search out the NYD Reamp and the Line2Amp circuit

nyd_ampinterface_203.jpg

abbey road d enfer said:
Going from 300r to 15k increases level by 30+ dB. Guitar FX pedals are designed to work at about -20 dBu. This is a patent incompatibility.
In order of importance, level comes before impedance.
Whoops said:
I do this all the time with mixer sends going into guitar pedala. The output Level is easilly atenuated in the mixer, with the send level pot, I just send less level. It works well for me and a lot of people use it this way also.

I believe Abbey is speaking of using the transformer, not going directly.  The transformer adds gain.

Back