500/51X Series SLQ51X SSL styled 4000 EQ / Filter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LNS said:
These are great kits, a nice build and all components are bagged up and ID’ed to speed up the process.

I built 1 of 4 last night! All went together nicely I was just missing 1x 22pf cap from one of the kits, hopefully I can pick one up over Christmas so I can get them all built.

Great kit, hopefully I’ll get time to calibrate it tonight.

Looks awesome! Can't wait for them to be back in stock!

Hi Kevin,

is it possible to get the LMF frequency down to 100 Hz?

I love the waves chanelstrip and use it always on drums, but i wish i could cut 120 Hz with it on my bassdrum.

It would be cool do the basic tweaks while trackin with your eq.

Thanks

Simon

Hello Simon
i think that is possible check the schematic and the values around the IC and 50k NLOG for the LMF band and play with this calculator on this webpage and check for the right filter. You may change resistors and capcitors in that path and make it work to your frequencies.
http://sim.okawa-denshi.jp/en/Fkeisan.htm
Thats also a good task and to understand how this unit works and modding is always fun.
But besides that you can use the LF Filter to Cut the 100 Hz also. 

Hi all, I'm new here and very interested in those eq, and 9K J pre.
Kevin,  you talk about calibration for the Eq, do I need specific tool like signal genrerator or just a good mulitmeter will do the job?

thank you so much for your work!

Cdp

Hi Cdp
All Build Info(BOM,Schematic/Overlay/Stepbuild/Calibration) avaivable under this link also on the first page
https://docdro.id/zwfShGU
you need a signal generator yes. but this can be also your soundcard using a DAW or i like to use Room Eq Wizard (REW) there are also nice tutorials avaivable from DIYRE how to use REW. The Calibration process is described in the docs fully and need aprx. an hour. if you used to it way shorter ;)

Thank you Kevin, it seems ok for me  :)

I can't find any post about the 4K J preamp kit, is there any info somewhere?
I know that the J serie was very particular and different from the otherSSL series , with more punch for example.
Can you tell us more about that? is it true to the original circuit?

Thank again!

Cdp

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your awesome work! Do you already have an indication when the current batch (March 15 preorder) will be shipped?

cheers,
Jan

Just a quick heads' up for those interested: I've received my order last thursday and finished them up yesterday. The kits are super-well layed out, building instructions are very clear. Building was easy, calibrating is no rocket science and comparing them to the plugins I know (Waves & Softube) they sound amazing.
I could see a mini 4k-desk in my not-so-distant future...

Herwig

Hi Kevin,

is it possible to get the LMF frequency down to 100 Hz?

I love the waves chanelstrip and use it always on drums, but i wish i could cut 120 Hz with it on my bassdrum.

It would be cool do the basic tweaks while trackin with your eq.

Thanks

Simon
Hey Simon, did you ever figure out what was needed to achieve this? I had the exact same thought for the same reason. If so, or anyone else has, please share. I'm not sure which calculator to use from the link Kevin sent..

Today I had the opportunity to compare Kevin's (Link Audio) built to an 611 SSL EQ. Attached you'll find some REW measurements. As you can see the EQ behaves pretty much as the SSL.

Attachments

• hi mid all knobs cw.jpg
    hi mid all knobs cw.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 48
  • hi full boost lowest freq.jpg
    hi full boost lowest freq.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 41
  • low mid all knobs cw.jpg
    low mid all knobs cw.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 42
  • lows all knobs cw.jpg
    lows all knobs cw.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 45
I was working on mine this weekend. I have just one problem. It does not bypass correctly, no signal goes through when on bypass. Somehow both positive and negative are short circuited. Probably something easy, I just need to spend some more time on it.

I´ve built mine over the weekend, too. It´s working fine and has a sound of it´s own, very different than my other EQs. That´s a nice extension of my toolbox. The LPF comes very handy on bright el. guitars. Great addition!

And I have to congratulate Kevin to the love and efforts he has put into the kit. It´s one of the best kits around, everything´s a joy to work on, well thought out and of highest quality. VERY well done!!! Thanks, Kevin.

Wow, those are so close, except for the low end, which is good just seems to be a few DB less gain. So what would cause that difference in gain?
My Eq has more gain, don't mix it. the SSL have around 4 dB Less gain. I wanted to have them full gain on each band. It's just one resistor that can change that in Low path.

Latest posts

Back