another a-range channel strip puzzle

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

This is a puzzler sort of.  I was going over some channel strips at the studio and noticed one of them had the following problem, I got a huge drop in level with the EQis inserted while the boost and cut on all four bands are  at unity.  This is a good 6dB or so difference compared to a working channel, where with the same settings  I have less then half a dB when the eq is inserted.  I have confirmed measuring at the output of the EQ output amp that we have a  the difference as well as confirmed it on the VU meter, and other test equipment.  Since all 4 eq bands are working and are the filters,  would it be safe to assume the problem is in the output amp and although working the amp is not working correctly, either by having a failed component or  bad solder joint or bad trace?

abbey road d enfer said:
6dB loss is typical of losing a leg in a balanced connection. Without a schemo or a crystal ball it's tough to guess.
I understand, I can get a good copy shortly.  I am just pondering how a 3 transistor amp can work to any extent of one of the transistors?

most likely a transistor (output amp)
loss of ground will once in a while be an issue for a section of these modules...
and each section has it own ground trace.

i have been using these replacements:
413  -  2n2484
416 -  5087 (backwards due to pinout) sometimes a 3904
40361 - 2219A
40361 - 2905A

QUEEF BAG said:
most likely a transistor (output amp)
loss of ground will once in a while be an issue for a section of these modules...
and each section has it own ground trace.

i have been using these replacements:
413  -  2n2484
416 -  5087 (backwards due to pinout) sometimes a 3904
40361 - 2219A
40361 - 2905A

nice thanks... We have parts bins galore so I should be o.k. I didn't dive into it further yet, got dragged away
into other things

Latest posts

Back