multiple momentary pushbuttons driving multiple latching relaycoils

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dagoose

I'm looking for a solution for driving relay coils (with the the help of a transistor for driving the multiple coil current) with momentary pushbuttons. I know I can use a 555 or transistor based flipflop circuit, but I'm talking about multiple, as in quite al lot, momentary pushbuttons that need to power relays. Is anyone aware of a multiple in/out driver that is capable of doing that? I can not imagine that it doesn't excist. I want to use as less parts as possible.

One way to drive multiple relays is with a relay driver IC driven by a mircocontroller or PIC. For large numbers of relays it's probably the only decent way to do it without having bundles of wire running everywhere. Something like L9823 can drive 8 relays per IC. For hundreds of relays another possibility might be to use a multiplexing matrix scanner style IC like for LEDs but with little RC transistor circuitry to buffer the current enough to hold the relay on during scanning. Something like MAX7221 for example might drive 64 relays per IC. Although the later would have to be designed very carefully so as not to emit noise from rapidly switching currents.

dagoose said:
I'm looking for a solution for driving relay coils (with the the help of a transistor for driving the multiple coil current) with momentary pushbuttons. I know I can use a 555 or transistor based flipflop circuit, but I'm talking about multiple, as in quite al lot, momentary pushbuttons that need to power relays. Is anyone aware of a multiple in/out driver that is capable of doing that? I can not imagine that it doesn't excist. I want to use as less parts as possible.
I've seen darlington transistor arrays used to drive multiple relays.

JR

Thanks guys! I have something to look into :)
I might even go for a controller right away like an arduino or pic combined with some drivers like a drv777 and an mcp23017. More work, but way more flexible in the end.  8)

dagoose said:
Thanks guys! I have something to look into :)
I might even go for a controller right away like an arduino or pic combined with some drivers like a drv777 and an mcp23017. More work, but way more flexible in the end.  8)
If you use a micro, there are LED drivers that can accept serial digital data... Then you can use a micro to detect and latch switch pushes, and apply any required logic.

A bit complex for simple switching function.

JR 

I used the Elliot Sounds that TK pointed to with an Arduino Nano (as well as a Teensy in a separate build) to make a 4 in 4 out monitor controller using momentary switches.
The Nano controlled the ins as I had to make them like registers so if you push one it deactivates the others.
For the outputs it didn't matter as all outs could be used simultaneously.
The code for the in's was a bitch but I got it eventually. Those ESP pages have been like gold to me.
IIRC you have built some beautiful controllers before so this should be easy peezy for you.

Back