pucho812

You tell me whar a man gits his corn pone, en I'll tell you what his 'pinions is.

Ricardus

Re: R.I.P. Edward Van Halen
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 03:55:20 PM »
2020 continues to f**king suck.

Was lucky enough to see them on their Diver Down tour in 1983.

RIP Eddie.
Audio mastering for hire..

JohnRoberts

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 04:02:51 PM »
RIP

JR
Don't only half-ass tune your drums. Visit https://circularscience.com to hear what properly "cleared" drums sound like.

bluebird

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 04:51:29 PM »
A true master. Phenomenal song writer. Best smile ever... RIP.

rob_gould

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 04:58:13 PM »

RIP Eddie. I never got to see Van Halen play unfortunately :-(
Studio furniture, modular synth cases and more...

www.gouldcaseworks.nl

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 05:05:56 PM »
A Legend.  Iconic. 

My wee Eddie story:
Was introduced to him by our album engineer in 1987 at the old 'Uncle Charlie's' in Corte Madera.   Guitar  player and I hung out all night with him and Neal Schon, and then did a 'sh*t-faced-on-vodka' little jam on the stage there.

65 is no age to die, sucks!

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 05:58:44 PM by Winston O'Boogie »
Jeffrey Toobin: "This is the most embarrassing week ever."

Rudy Giuliani: "Hold my pants..."

pucho812

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 05:18:21 PM »
My buddy has the best Eddie story.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lVEB80WWBjY
You tell me whar a man gits his corn pone, en I'll tell you what his 'pinions is.

iomegaman

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 05:44:52 PM »
1980 Van Halen killed it in "Roklahoma"...David Lee was so drunk he was incoherent, but Eddie made it a show to remember....Pat Benatar, Doobie Brothers, Sammy Hagar, UFO, I can't remember the rest, but the best part of the entire event was Eddies guitar chops...
Since the development of the internet millions of people have died, the two may or may not be related.

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 05:45:49 PM »
Wow...sad news.

john12ax7

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 07:12:04 PM »
One of the all time greats who inspired a generation.

Rob Flinn

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 07:26:32 PM »
My first gig was Van Halen on their first world tour at the Rainbow, Finsbury Park, London.  Very loud !
regards Rob

CJ

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 01:05:30 AM »
My first Halen concert was Day on the Green, Oakland,  Sunday, July 23, 1978.

The bill was

AC/DC
Van Halen
Pat Travers
Foreigner
Aerosmith

unfortunately, four of the bands were completely devastated in front of 50,000 people.

saw them probably 3 more times, once with Black Sabbath, what a show!

they rocked the San Jose Civic so bad that the building was condemned after the show. People were rockin so hard up in the balcony that it almost came loose.

A lot of listening hours tallied up with those guys, starting with 8 track tapes in the car. Eddie was fast alright, but not all of his solos were speedy. Which was a good thing because it meant that you could cover a few of their songs without looking like too much of a slouch.

Working in a guitar shop I hear his influence every day!

Rock on Eddie!

If I can't fix it, I can fix it so nobody else can!
Frank's Tube Page: www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/vs.html
Guitar Amps: http://bmamps.com/Tech_sch.html

12afael

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 02:25:39 AM »
RIP Eddie, a great guitar player.

Since Les paul provably there is no one with more innovations in the instrument. modern guitar would be much different today.
heavy metal is the law!!!

fazer

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 06:26:09 AM »
RIP Eddy.  You changed all the rules.  Sad loss.

iomegaman

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 12:18:46 PM »
I wonder at times if Eddie was not responsible for an entire range of "acoustic" styles...his "hammer on" technique while probably not exclusively his invention has probably helped create the entire genre of music that has evolved into musicians like Mike Daws and Michael Hedges...

I was a guitarist back in the 70's and the primary style was more "Phil Keaggy and Leo Kottke" I cannot think of anyone who nudged the acoustic style more by way of style and probably doesn't get noticed.
Since the development of the internet millions of people have died, the two may or may not be related.

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2020, 12:36:15 PM »
When I was a child, the first album that got me into rock was 1984 by Van Halen, It was and still is one of my favorite albums ever, I was a hardcore Van Halen fan, used to own all of their records, its so sad that he is gone.

JohnRoberts

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2020, 03:24:45 PM »
Eddie was more than just an inventive player, he was very hands on about all aspects of his "sound". I recall all the back and forth when James Brown was designing the 5150 amp in partnership with Eddie for Peavey. Eddie was not a design engineer, but he knew what result he wanted to hear and doggedly pursued that. Eddie participated in things as fundamental as the wood used in the guitar cabinet. While he may not have understood all the why's, he knew "what" he wanted to hear.

While James was the Peavey circuit design engineer, he worked interactively with Eddie to tweak the sound. I recall James having to fly out to Eddie's 5150 studios with prototypes multiple times, in addition to Eddie visiting Meridian too (less times).

RIP

JR

PS: This same James Brown is lead designer over the current Fender EVH division. 

Don't only half-ass tune your drums. Visit https://circularscience.com to hear what properly "cleared" drums sound like.

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 08:12:19 PM »
... probably helped create the entire genre of music that has evolved into musicians like Mike Daws and Michael Hedges...

... I cannot think of anyone who nudged the acoustic style more by way of style and probably doesn't get noticed.

I'd never actually thought about EVH's influence on acoustic playing technique before but, now you bring it up, it seems very plausible.   

Jeffrey Toobin: "This is the most embarrassing week ever."

Rudy Giuliani: "Hold my pants..."