Computer woes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Been in the middle of computer torture for several days now with various rebuild of various systems at tech dots away from the studio haunt. Nothing like erasing a drive and then having the mac tell you it can’t install an os on it.
Recovery didn’t work
Usb boot thumb drive didn’t work.
Finally got an os to format and install that is the next version up. Luckily all the stuff still works.
Still have more to go.
Getting an os on there is the real stressing part. Once the os is installed  it’s usually fine. But boy talk about stressful

Few months ago, my dad's boot drive crashed on his old mac Pro (g5 style case). He and a computer tech tried to revive it but they couldn't get any os to boot...

I decided to have a go and try to resurect the thing. I was able to boot to ubuntu in a matter of minutes, so i was sure the mother board and everything was still working.

Then I fought 2 whole days to be able to install mac os 10.11 (i think that was the latest supported on this hardware). I had to go back to 10.6 first because that was the last version with a retail dvd. Even if all my other copies of mac OS are legit (and I know they are), they wouldn't want to install, because i downloaded them with another computer. Then, how am i supposed to download anything with this computer if i can't install any os?

This is meant to have you buying a brand new 6k$ computer, instead of a 100$ hdd, not a way to improve security.

Few years ago, my old macbook pro was going very slooooooooow ever since i upraded it to 10.12 (i had been using 10.7 for a  while, but sadly it was obsolete). Suddenly, i couldn't even use Firefox or Mail or anything. That was a nightmare. That's at this time that i switch to ubuntu and never looked back. The laptop is still working perfectly well today.

To be fair, i transitioned, my main workstatiln from w7 to w10 recently and i suffered a big loss in performance (and many bsod).

It's incredible how apple and microsoft seems to make their OSes less and less performant. And less and less practicle... And less and less open...

I'dlike to switch everything to Linux, but my main DAW (Nuendo) is not compatible... and the choice of DAW is not mine to make. (Also, nuendo is very good for what we do here, mostly cartoons and TV post).

Sorry for the rants,

Cheers,

Thomas

Same problem on a MacBook Pro . Time to break these monopolies up or at least shake them up with their practices.  I finally bought a used MacBook Pro.  This one also was the last with accessible drives so clone clone clone is the answer for me.  I need to maintain my Mac Pro for protools but the day is coming when that will be over as well.  Ubanta , Linux is somewhere in my future.

Probably on my last Macs for a while anyway...running two machines no longer supported by the OS thats on them (thank you DosDude1)...

The mac Pro tower still lets me install PCIe cards...but to get that in a machine on a modern Mac is somewhere in the neighborhood of $6000.00

This machine runs fine...running "Opencore" and Catalina as well as a Thunderbolt Add in card that allows me to run TB on a machine that does not have it in the MOBO...the guys at macRumors forums can walk you through just about any upgrade/issue on any mac...if you're patient enough to read the threads and follow EXACTLY the instructions...some of those guys are actual Apple techs...

My technique is to keep have disk images of all the OS installers and an image of the boot drive. That way you can rewind to any point by throwing the image onto a new drive

Best way to do that is to have an external drive with a boot system, boot from that and install the images to the target drive

If you take an image of the boot system after updating it, and before installing software, you have a very quick way of getting back to a clean system in the event of any problems

Once the software is installed & serialised, make another image & store that

Carbon Copy Cloner is your friend here

Nick Froome

pvision said:
My technique is to keep have disk images of all the OS installers and an image of the boot drive. That way you can rewind to any point by throwing the image onto a new drive

Best way to do that is to have an external drive with a boot system, boot from that and install the images to the target drive

If you take an image of the boot system after updating it, and before installing software, you have a very quick way of getting back to a clean system in the event of any problems

Once the software is installed & serialised, make another image & store that

Carbon Copy Cloner is your friend here

Nick Froome

indeed. I love that software. However it has one problem. If by chance you have a drive with an issue, it will copy the issue too. I had an issue with a system a while ago that like clockwork would crash every few weeks. I Would reinstall the carbon copy clone of the drive and be back in business in Half an hour or so. But would again have a crash with in weeks. turns out the following was happening, 1. the computer drive was replaced with a new internal drive. cloned the computer drive to the new internal drive.  I finally stuck the original Mac drive back into the system to find it had a major fault.  I still refuse to put the OWC drive back in as that seemed to cause more issues then it was worth.

This is the problem with using closed source software like MACos and Windows.

There was a time when people complained they could never install Linux. Seems the tables have turned.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
This is the problem with using closed source software like MACos and Windows.

There was a time when people complained they could never install Linux. Seems the tables have turned.

Cheers

Ian

Yep, my very first attempt at installing Mandrake Linux on a mac G3 almost 20 years ago was a big fail.

Today, it takes 5 minutes to setup linux on any hardware, but i can be days for windows or mac os.

This reminds me two years ago when i bought my new laptop. The thing was sold with w10 OEM installed on a 1TB hdd. But i wanted to put a 512GB m2 ssd in there and make a dual boot with ubuntu and w10...

Ssd installation was easy, ubuntu setup too, but transfering w10 took me a couple of days just because the license was limited as OEM so you can't change processor or disk.

Regarding CCC for mac backups, i've used it a lot when i was a mac guy and it's a must have when using a mac. But the problem is not backup, the problem is Apple won't let you install the version of the os you want on your own computer. A computer you paid a fortune for... what kind of ownership is that?

This is not even about closed vs open source, these systems are closing themselves more and more to everything. They want to control the way you're using your computer. That's freaking amazing.

No wonder why you see more computers delivered with linux installed...

Cheers,

Thomzd

Back