Pcb Design "Free" Software For Win 7 - 10

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2d2

Hi all,
just for ask some info  about a good Pcb Design "Free" Software like Eagle for XP But For Win 7 - 10
thanks in advance for any info ,
cheers

http://kicad-pcb.org/

(Usually I would have recommended Eagle, but since the acquisition by the dark side it is on its way to become a ridiculous cloud monstrosity.)

+3 For KiCad.

Free, not so hard to learn and with amazing features like the 3d model export.

Take your time to get used to the symbols and footprints workflow, despite that, it should be easy to learn.

dirtyhanfri said:
+3 For KiCad.

Free, not so hard to learn and with amazing features like the 3d model export.

Take your time to get used to the symbols and footprints workflow, despite that, it should be easy to learn.
Kicad is installed on my PC.
I tried it, the first thing I saw is the Y-axis going downwards.
Went to the forum, and they told me that I was basically wrong, the Founding Fathers of Kicad could not be wrong and that I was a heathen for criticizing this work done by volunteers.
I continue to receive forum notifications, and some of them make me shiver.
When I did my first test, I found that most of the components were not available so I looked at creating my own, but I had to give up quickly because the user manual is obscure, to say the least. in particular, it tells you how to create a symbol and how to create a footprint, but not how to connect them...
I have found that a number of Kicad users are not too concerned about how their PCB is going to be integrated in a product.
I , too, am disappointed with Autodesk's hold-up on Eagle; I still use V5, which never disappointed me.

abbey road d enfer said:
When I did my first test, I found that most of the components were not available so I looked at creating my own, but I had to give up quickly because the user manual is obscure, to say the least. in particular, it tells you how to create a symbol and how to create a footprint, but not how to connect them...

In KiCad some things are done differently compared to other pcb design software. Google is your friend when using KiCad.
KiCad has two workflows regarding what a symbol represents and when it is assigned a footprint. It can be done in the library in which case the symbol represents an exact part or using the "Assign Footprints" tool at the end of the design process.
Found in eeschema: Tools->assign footprints to components
If I remember correctly few years ago you could only assign footprints in eeschema.

I much preferred diptrace to kicad when I tried both,  they have a freeware version so it's worth a look.  But it was also years ago so the gap may have narrowed.

Not a lot to add here, but I suggest you make a small project with DipTrace AND KiCad, before you decide which one to really learn. No good alternatives to those two imho (there are some, but..).

When getting back into making circuit boards I tried Eagle (which I strongly disliked), DipTrace and KiCad. (I looked at others but quickly ruled them out)

Initially I found KiCad to be very cumbersome and documentation only to be found via websearch, so I started using DipTrace.

Eagle import is easy, schematics editing is quite nice. But tracing the PCB sucks. So I got deeper into KiCad and a lot of things get much easier with some practice there (keycommands), also it improves with the upgrades.

Designing / assigning parts / footprints is not so bad once you start practicing it. Main drawback for me is that a lot of the documentation is most readily available as youtube tutorials. Also, it is cross-platform.

I can vouch for KiCad as well. I think it's great and I love that you can do so many things with keyboard shortcuts. That means at least for me the workflow is very fast.

If you want to learn to use it, there is a great tutorial on Udemy although it is not free.

john12ax7 said:
I much preferred diptrace to kicad when I tried both,  they have a freeware version so it's worth a look.  But it was also years ago so the gap may have narrowed.
I agree diptrace is worth a look. I checked it out last night. They have a nice set of built in video tutorials. Freeware version is limited to 300 pins, 2 layers and non-commercial application but that should be sufficient for most people. It appears to have been developed over 16 years by a small team.

Kicad lost its way a few years ago. There was some kind of falling out over funding the development. Fortunately it was adopted by CERN who I believe now sponsors most of the development. Most of the silly niggles have been eliminated and it is now a reasonably mature product but still totally free.

Cheers

Ian

Back