Obsolete parts in new products

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

31cc7

Hello

When some manufacturers claim that in their products they use vintage NOS parts that are long obsolete, how they are able to sell this equipment given that it wouldn't be RoHS compliant?

I am sorry if that is a stupid question.

Thank you

They can't, it's as simple as that.

It's like still all those still selling optical compressors - everyone in business says "just lie about it" or "pretend to be dumb" or "noone will notice"..

Note that there still is an exemption for NOS vacuum tubes, these are OK to use

/Jakob E.

31cc7 said:
Hello

When some manufacturers claim that in their products they use vintage NOS parts that are long obsolete, how they are able to sell this equipment given that it wouldn't be RoHS compliant?

I am sorry if that is a stupid question.

Thank you
They self certify (i.e. lie).

but why in the world ever buy a SKU that you can't source repair parts for?

JR

gyraf said:
Note that there still is an exemption for NOS vacuum tubes, these are OK to use

/Jakob E.

People have found that selling tubes from US to Asia via ebay is forbidden using ebay worldwide shipping service. They screen and repack orders and RoHS-like standards are applied to goods. 

pucho812 said:
Yes, California.

As for using NOS obsolete parts, is this for audiophiles who claim mojo? Is it because they ripped off a design?  Or is it just a lie?

Some people want historical replica down to every detail.  Like car people. 

That makes sense.

I've been thinking for example about germanium transistors etc., but I see that there may be companies still making these obsolete parts.

Back