SSL resistor specs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilwight

just about to order up all my parts but just had a newbie panic attack ref my resistors.

was just going to get from maplin up the road but since i'm getting a load of stuff from farnell and RS mail order thought i might just include with the farnell order.

is metal film resistors ok?
what sort of spec should i look for.what does the W stand for ie 3w, 0.4w is it wattage. what should i be looking for for this circuit type?

i'm enjoying learning all this stuff which i guess is the point of self builds

thanks guys

I think it's pretty much agreed that with resistors you can use whatever is easiest, whether that be metal film or carbon film. I think all the resistors in the GSSL can be 5% 1/4W? The wattage could be higher, but that usually means bigger componets, and you just have to make sure that they fit in the board.

-mike

Harrumph...

should be 1/4 as IIRC 1/8 watt will blow up
GROSS oversimplification.

Large values (30K and up) it would be IMPOSSIBLE to 'blow them up'.

Some smaller resistor values will be slightly more subject to heating, but if you can destroy a 100kΩ 1/8W resistor in a GSSL, I'll give you my Porsche for a week.

:twisted:

Keef

[quote author="SSLtech"]Harrumph...

should be 1/4 as IIRC 1/8 watt will blow up
GROSS oversimplification.

Large values (30K and up) it would be IMPOSSIBLE to 'blow them up'.

Some smaller resistor values will be slightly more subject to heating, but if you can destroy a 100kΩ 1/8W resistor in a GSSL, I'll give you my Porsche for a week.

Keef[/quote]
Keef you owe me a your Porsche for a week :green:

1/8W's are probably alright - execpt for the 10R resistors feeding the +/-12V regulation circuits, and the 1K LED voltage dropping resistor...

Jakob E.

i need them mostly on the control board and then some on the main board:
22k, 3k9, 68k, 33k 47R, 220k.

thank you.

[quote author="pucho812"][quote author="SSLtech"]... but if you can destroy a 100kΩ 1/8W resistor in a GSSL, I'll give you my Porsche for a week.

Keef[/quote]
Keef you owe me a your Porsche for a week :green:[/quote]

looks like Jakob gets it first! :wink:

Keef

[quote author="neilwight"]thanks guys.

ordered up and awaiting delivery. :grin:[/quote]
posted 2005 - and no reply
That's Maplins for you!

Is it ok to mix the 1/4 and 1/2 watt resitors on the control pcb for te ssl?
when i mean mix i mean the 1.8m ohm resitor because i got a 1/2 watt :cry: instead of 1/4, and i dont feel like making another order just for that one resistor because they dont stock them at Radio shack....

oh yeah
my first post ive been reading these forever and just joined ha :roll:

thanks,
Zjcc56

Welcome!

1/2W resistors are okay. To make them fit, stand them upright, and bend the other lead (like a "U-turn") to fit in the other hole...

Latest posts

Back