Need help with D-u87 Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanonP

Hello, I’m a hobbyist. I have been building a d-u87m with the blue pcb from dany. I have gotten to the stage where I’m going to bias or calibrate the fet to 11.5 volts. My readings are showing 0.039 for maximum voltage, so I’m assuming something isn’t right obviously. Need some help to figure out what to check. Thank you! Like I said I’m noob or hobbyist so forgive me if I’m a little slow to understand.

What JFET are you using, and where was it sourced from? And any photos of the finished board?

Hello, my jfet was sourced from mouser and it is 2n3819. I’m making a flicker account to post photos.

I was 0.39 for my voltage reading.

Link to photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190731015@N08/shares/3qtvhn

Welp, I'm goofy I got it measured and biased for 11.5 volts. I was measuring amps and not voltage, blatantly I was on the wrong setting on my multimeter, adding a pic to the flicker. Thanks again for replying.

By the way: I consider Ud=11.5 volts as a starting point.
I experienced that this setting does not always guarantee the lowest distortion or the highest undistorted SPL.
Even in the Neumann U87 microphones, Ud varies a lot!

Thanks for the advice, but I have ran into another issue. I got the capsule installed and know when I turn on 48v phantom power I get no sound from the mic. So I’m guessing the transformer? I have the ami-t13 and my wires where switched. Hopefully I put them in right. I will be checking, if anyone has other things to check let me know. I appreciate it.

KanonP said:
Thanks for the advice, but I have ran into another issue. I got the capsule installed and know when I turn on 48v phantom power I get no sound from the mic. So I’m guessing the transformer? I have the ami-t13 and my wires where switched. Hopefully I put them in right. I will be checking, if anyone has other things to check let me know. I appreciate it.

That's a common mistake. Let us know.

You should try the injecting of 1khz sinewave into leg of R6 or the leg of 470pf cap, disconnect capsule, then scope the drain leg of the fet and adjust level of sinewave until you can see it's not a good sinewave shape, then it's a matter of adjusting the trimmer until the sinewave is even as much as possible on both peaks, I found it ended up being about 0.775v (0db) where the sinewave was even both sides or just below this level.

Back