DIY router table

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efinque

Sup GDIY,

I made a post here regarding a router prototype I did a few weeks ago.

I've been weighing and experimenting with different approaches and ended up building a larger version.

IMG-20201011-164724.jpg

It has a slightly bigger working area, approximately 435x325mm but the material thickness is limited to 20mm, this is due to stability reasons. It also has no z-axis guide like the prototype did. The overall footprint is roughly 585x480mm.

It uses window latches for securing the guide rails in place as well as T-nuts and bolts for fastening.

The more recent version uses four ABEC-5 ball bearings I took from an old skateboard sunk inside the rails but only in the x-axis (this is due to the y-axis guide MDF thickness and I only had four bearings)

So far I've tried using a small chisel mounted in the guide (for making skirting panels) and had quite nice results but it still suffers from some mechanical problems and stress (it doesn't really matter which way you use it, ie. whether you push/pull the workpiece or fasten it and use the rails)

It also accepts a small jig saw (the hole diameter is 10mm) but I haven't tested it yet, probably works as a guide for a blade/circular (table) saw too with the bearings in place.

Stuff I'm looking to add is lead screw or a rack&pinion in the gantries and a disposable work bed, possibly the option to use a bit mounted in the working area.

Any thoughts?

-ef

Great idea with the skateboard bearings.  Possibly use metal coner brackets for structural integrity. Google Bobscnc for ideas. I'm debating buying one of his kits.

Rocinante said:
Great idea with the skateboard bearings.

Yeah but sinking them was probably a bad idea because they need lubing and regular maintenance (sawdust etc)

Possibly use metal coner brackets for structural integrity.

I had this in mind but couldn't find suitable ones and the wood may crack from too many screws.

Google Bobscnc for ideas. I'm debating buying one of his kits.

I saw those various kits and prebuilt routers for sale while doing research.. many CNC routers on the market are either too big and clumsy (noise is a problem too) or too small and precise (think 3D printers)

Now I'm debating whether to get a hand-held woodworking router (around 100-300e) or a multi-tool like Dremel with a router base (100ish) plus router bits, I only have access to a cordless at the moment.

Probably ok for joinery, cabinet making, chamfering/beveling and skirting etc.. initially I had in mind building one for making speaker enclosures (this one's a bit too small for that, it can possibly do small midtops) but it turned out the way it did, I haven't tested aluminium or metal yet (it probably won't do good as it's made of scrapwood from an old closet but I read some plywood routers can work with aluminium easily)

Back