Recapping Individual outs on SP1200 - what caps?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEED78

My SP1200's individual outs are hissy half the time - anyone know what caps are a perfect replacement so I can do a recap?

I wouldn't bet my life that output coupling caps would cause intermittent hissing, but I guess it can't be utterly impossible either.

Internal photos wouldn't hurt, for determining details, though. "What caps" is about as vague a question as they come ::)

To be fair, I HAVE seen bloated capacitors even on some line-level outputs, a few years ago. Green-sleeved CapXons, in a dbx Driverack PA.

I don’t even know what a SP1200 is. I searched on-line and found the owner’s manual. The first line of the Table of Contents is “ What is it?” page 1. It is a sampling drum machine, that looks pretty cool. I also found a few discussions on the hiss issue. Since I don’t know what I’m talking about all I can do is Parrot what I found. Including a statement from a service manual, a replacement part, link for replacement part, and a picture. Let me know if it fixes the issue.

service manual:

Problem: Hiss or crackling channel Cause: Bad Sample/Hold Cap Solution: Replace Cap

8 polystyrene S/H caps (originally ASC 4700H) with these LCR Components FSC 160V 4700PF:

https://uk.farnell.com/lcr-components/fsc-160v-4700pf/cap-film-ps-4-7nf-160v-axial/dp/9520147?CMP=ADV-CRUK-LF

Attachments

• SP1200Caps.jpg
    SP1200Caps.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 18
I don't know what it is either but they may be using the sample and hold circuits to multiplex a more continuous audio output signal from very narrow digital samples. Like one relatively expensive DAC generating 8 audio outputs. 

Polystyrene is an excellent dielectric for sample and hold circuits because of low dielectric absorption (aka soakage or memory effect). A bad hold cap could introduce noise at the sample/refresh frequency.

If you can't source a polystyrene capacitor a NPO/COG ceramic is probably OK. I doubt it needs to be 160V but that was a typical voltage for polystyrenes.

JR 

JohnRoberts said:
I don't know what it is either but they may be using the sample and hold circuits to multiplex a more continuous audio output signal from very narrow digital samples. Like one relatively expensive DCA generating 8 audio outputs. 

Polystyrene is an excellent dielectric for sample and hold circuits because of low dielectric absorption (aka soakage or memory effect). A bad hold cap could introduce noise at the sample/refresh frequency.

If you can't source a polystyrene capacitor a NPO/COG ceramic is probably OK. I doubt it needs to be 160V but that was a typical voltage for polystyrenes.

JR

Another good, albeit expensive cap dielectric is polyphenylene sulfide.

user 37518 said:
Another good, albeit expensive cap dielectric is polyphenylene sulfide.
If price is no object, teflon is an excellent dielectric for DA. Polystyrene was sweet because it was both cheap and very good, sadly not robust enough to stand up to modern manufacturing processes.

JR

Yes, the polystyrene caps in the SPs are a know problem. You can still buy polystyrene caps, just be careful soldering them, use as little heat as quickly as possible.

living sounds said:
Yes, the polystyrene caps in the SPs are a know problem. You can still buy polystyrene caps, just be careful soldering them, use as little heat as quickly as possible.
For today's too much information, I used thousands of polystyrene caps back in my kit business (Phoenix Systems) days, with ham fisted novice customers, hand soldering these to assemble kits with no significant issues.

Mass production is another story... I had a business partner in the early 80s trash a whole production run of PC boards by trying to spray them dry with a high pressure air hose after water rinsing them (using water soluble flux). He inadvertently blew water inside the polystyrene caps destroying them.

Indeed polystyrene is not very resistant to high temperatures, but it is no coincidence that the lead wires are rather small gauge and not very good thermal conductors. Hand soldering these caps using modest wattage irons is generally not a problem.

Wave soldering or reflow is another issue.  :eek:

JR

living sounds said:

They are only to be found in very limited set of values and high price, they are scheduled for obsolescence if you ask me...

user 37518 said:
They are only to be found in very limited set of values and high price, they are scheduled for obsolescence if you ask me...

I can still get them here easily. You need 8 pieces of 4.7N polystyrene caps, that's a very common value.

If you can't, WIMA bills the FKP-2 (polypropylene) as a replacement for polystyrene caps. I'm sure it will work, but it may sound a little different. I compared those two in EQ circuits and found the WIMA to sound "softer", FWIW.

COG/NPO are bound to work as well.

analogguru said:
I don't know why, but I doubt that they will sound "softer" in a sample & hold circuit...

I might try it in my SP-12 (same circuit) one day. So far the outputs are free of noise (or as free of noise, as a 12-bit sampler can be).

Latest posts

Back