DIY Console at Durham Sound Studios

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful!  I'm amazed how folks can get so much done in so little time. 3 years seems about right.  ;D 

Thanks for the share, inspiring.

He's the son of Graham Durham who owned The Exchange mastering. He grew up seeing all this stuff. Very impressive all the same.

Very nice.  Tube electronics with Pultec eq on each channel. 

There's also an M49 on the page that he built too, mechanicals look spot on.

Thanks for the share. 

Instagram wouldnt allow me look at the page without signing up , they do seem to have a facebook page ,again not a place I buy into.
I couldnt find any site dedicated to the studio outside of that .

The channel EQ looks like an extended EQP1A. I suspect the mixer is all line level (LILO) and use outboard mic pres. He certainly has an impressive collection of vintage gear.

Cheers

Ian

The channel EQ looks like an extended EQP1A. I suspect the mixer is all line level (LILO) and use outboard mic pres. He certainly has an impressive collection of vintage gear.

Cheers

Ian
Yes, it definitely looks like a pultec on each channel. Weird placement for the bandwidth know though.

Here are some more pics available without instagram account: https://www.pixwox.com/nl/post/6845593636194951685329/

Thanks for digging out the extra links Wlinart . Wow must get hot in there with all the tube gear .

Thanks for digging out the extra links Wlinart . Wow must get hot in there with all the tube gear .
Tube gear gets an undeserved bad rep for creating lots of heat. Maybe this is because of the big hot power tubes used in guitar amps but preamp/mixer line level tube gear consumes only a fraction of this. Holger's 12 channel tube mixer consumes 10 amps at 12V on the heaters - that is a mere 120W and the HT consumption is about the same giving 250W total. That is less than the power consumed by the average PC.

Cheers

Ian

Tube gear gets an undeserved bad rep for creating lots of heat. Maybe this is because of the big hot power tubes used in guitar amps but preamp/mixer line level tube gear consumes only a fraction of this. Holger's 12 channel tube mixer consumes 10 amps at 12V on the heaters - that is a mere 120W and the HT consumption is about the same giving 250W total. That is less than the power consumed by the average PC.

Cheers

Ian
I saw a Studer documentary where some engineers bemoaned the tube desk they had to use in the 60s; they said it would be hot to the touch. Probably bad design, or maybe exaggeration. It was also mounted in a tiny mobile unit, which probably made things exponentially worse.

I saw a Studer documentary where some engineers bemoaned the tube desk they had to use in the 60s; they said it would be hot to the touch. Probably bad design, or maybe exaggeration. It was also mounted in a tiny mobile unit, which probably made things exponentially worse.
The shift from frame-mount active gain blocks to in mixer-channels took some designers by surprize.
Actually, a number of solid-state mixers suffered this also.
The 250W Ian mentioned, imagine 6 soldering irons under your hands...

The shift from frame-mount active gain blocks to in mixer-channels took some designers by surprize.
Actually, a number of solid-state mixers suffered this also.
The 250W Ian mentioned, imagine 6 soldering irons under your hands...
In dumb people parlance this means separate vs integrated pres, right?

Sure, go to line stages with 6V6's or similar, a console gets hot, but it's only those stages doing it. My RCA BC-2B gets warm over time because of the three 6V6's, and there's a lot of airspace in there. The other tubes can be touched to remove from the sockets immediately after powering down. When my control room had 8 channels of tube limiters and line amps with sixteen 6V6's, they'd heat the room. These days I turn on many more preamp channels without power tubes and it's not noticeable.

The Neve VR that was close by is the hottest console I've ever been on, you could feel the heat rising 6 inches above the surface. My MOTU converters and my Dolby 740 run hotter than most of my tube gear.

Back