bockaudio

Re: What if you opened up a Manley Reference C and ...
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2021, 05:46:04 PM »
What if you opened up a Manley Reference C and you found that the capsule to tube/FET-cap was a ordinary ceramic one?
What would you think? What do you think was the motivation of the circuit designer?
The designer (Steve Haselton) and the production floor, or manufacturing engineer may be unrelated. What a designer specifies and what a company produces based on that may also have a "loose" relationship. Normal behaviour in manufacturing.

bockaudio

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2021, 05:49:14 PM »
Has anyone traced this microphones circuit?
Is it a copy of something or is it somewhat different?
Same circuit as has been for years excepting modern RF proof mods. Two stage cascade, xfmr tertiary NFB to first stage. New mics have 12AX7 instead of 6072.

Gus

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2021, 07:03:53 AM »
I have not had the chance to look at the insides of one.
I was wondering how it was configured.

bockaudio

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2021, 09:35:56 PM »
Standard mic triode self bias>>>>cascade to triode output>>>cap..xfmr...xfmr tertiary NFB to 1st stage is also -10dB/not switch.

kingkorg

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2021, 09:38:42 PM »
No filtering in nfb, like in u67?

bockaudio

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2021, 10:08:56 PM »
No, just an unbalanced winding to a split cathode resistor.
U67 NFB complicated and through the capsule.

kingkorg

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2021, 11:59:08 PM »
People at Manley seem to be keeping eye on this forum. They removed all the audio examples, and measurements off the ATK site for Reference C.  I guess they didn't like the fact that it measures and sounds exactly like the Sterling mic...

Khron

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2021, 12:43:58 AM »
Reminds me a bit of Thunderf00t over on YouTube, versus some of his detractors (or rather, companies or concepts he "myth busted")...
Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

bockaudio

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2021, 05:38:27 PM »
People at Manley seem to be keeping eye on this forum. They removed all the audio examples, and measurements off the ATK site for Reference C.  I guess they didn't like the fact that it measures and sounds exactly like the Sterling mic...
I know for fact Manley builds their own mic, not a rebrand. Unique circuit, have not seen it copied.
I don't know anything about Sterling is there evidence it's not a rebrand, or that the circuit was copied?

kingkorg

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2021, 05:54:39 PM »
Their circuits are nothing alike, Sterling is a fet mic. However they are both flat circuits, and share the same exact OEM capsule and similar basket shape. Earlier models and some Groove Tubes mics are even closer.

So under normal conditions, normal levels if the tube isn't significantly pushed they sound pretty much the same. Measurements and audio samples were available at ATK site, and are now removed.

bockaudio

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2021, 08:12:39 PM »
Funny assumption.

Delta Sigma

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2021, 01:30:38 PM »
I'm wrong more often than I'm right, but I doubt we, at this forum, could have any influence over a company's marketing. I don't think we have enough consumer reach, unlike Gearslutz. It may be a coincidence.
Neil Fitzpatrick

cyrano

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2021, 08:52:44 AM »
I'm wrong more often than I'm right, but I doubt we, at this forum, could have any influence over a company's marketing. I don't think we have enough consumer reach, unlike Gearslutz. It may be a coincidence.

They don't "watch" this forum, or any other forum.

Companies might have a subscription to a search service that alerts them whenever their brandname appears anywhere. Internet and a list of paper publications. Even hospitals and universities seem vain enough to watch out what their online image is. Of course, sometimes vanity equals money. Sometimes, it's the only way to track their own products.
Why is it people love to believe and hate to know?

kingkorg

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2021, 09:37:27 AM »
Btw, this wasn't mentioned just here. I believe the fact they use Feilo capsules in Ref C was mentioned on REP forums in something like 2008.

So while ATK is among other things meant to help companies promote their mics, it didn't really work in this case.

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2021, 01:29:22 AM »
some links
http://www.thevalvepage.com/valvetek/microph/microph.htm

https://dalmura.com.au/static/Microphonics%20in%20valves.pdf

FWIW I installed a polystyrene cap instead of a capsule in a microphone the body and grill were installed and the cap worked as a low output level capsule. I could record sound
Others have posted about microphonic parts.

Jakob that sounds like an interesting paper.

A capacitor mic, go figure!