Mastic Glue for electronic components

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saint gillis

Hi, this have already been discussed in this forum, and the main conclusions were always to use two kinds of glue : Shoe Goo, and E6000 (Someone even mentioned that Oliver Arshut used E6000 for very high impedance zones in condenser mics with great success)

But when I'm looking at the brown mastic used on several power amplifiers to glue the big psu capacitors, or when I'm looking on the white mastic used on Meanwell switching supplies to glue several components, I want to know what it is !

I've tried MS hybrid polymer, it looks very similar to the Meanwell mastic, but it's flamable when it's dry, although we can buy fire retardant versions.

Does anyone have good knowledge about that ?

saint gillis said:
  Hi, this have already been discussed in this forum, and the main conclusions were always to use two kinds of glue : Shoe Goo, and E6000 (Someone even mentioned that Oliver Arshut used E6000 for very high impedance zones in condenser mics with great success)

But when I'm looking at the brown mastic used on several power amplifiers to glue the big psu capacitors, or when I'm looking on the white mastic used on Meanwell switching supplies to glue several components, I want to know what it is !

I've tried MS hybrid polymer, it looks very similar to the Meanwell mastic, but it's flamable when it's dry, although we can buy fire retardant versions.

Does anyone have good knowledge about that ?
I would think it's hot glue.

It's not epoxy, it's softer...

This is the white mastic we find in switching psu's :
Spot-the-bad-capacitors.jpg

This is the brown glue we find on many power amps and many pieces of gear : https://i.redd.it/e1gaw8utbjz11.jpg

Silastic by Dow. Silicone.

There are also products called “assembly pastes” for electronics like Loctite Ablestik that are similar. They usually have PTFE (teflon) in them, which explains the color and non-conductivity/non-reactivity. Expensive.

But why not save the trouble and expense and just use white silicon caulk, like you’d seal a sink or bathtub with? It’s pure silicon and as such is non-conductive. GE makes a product called Silicone II that doesn’t offgas corrosive stuff and I’ve never had a problem using it for upside down caps in guitar amps.

Latest posts

Back