Another DIY API 1604 inspired mixer (16x8x2)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iprovlek said:
Ian my idea from beginning was to relief complexity of mechanical work to me and my friend who help me

to use only solid wood and somekind of shelf....something that I found on Capi site

There is no motherbaord only edge connectors 30 pins...I put pics of it

That is very neat. We talked about this mixer for a long time. I am very pleased you  have finally completed it. I bet you are an expert at crimping now!

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
That is very neat. We talked about this mixer for a long time. I am very pleased you  have finally completed it. I bet you are an expert at crimping now!

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian...yes I became crimp and solder expert,and happy that I finally finished it...:)

john12ax7 said:
Very nice work.  How are the VU meters working out? I've also considered salvaging old meters.

Thanks John...VU meters works fine,needs a cleaning up,it was boring but must be done...I found them on ebay like a lot for good price!

Winston O'Boogie said:
What Ho Ahoi! 

Very nice job you did there.  Hours, days, weeks, and months of work! 

Fantastic  :)

Thanks Winston...and yes lot of work ,but I cannot describe the pleasure of finished it and working on it...

Hi Guys!

I wanna show you my mixer....

Finally after five years I finished it.....and it was long journey :)

Everything was concept to work like 500 series modules...

Hi Ivan,

It's a beautifull console!!!

It really inspired me to build one, but smaller. 8 channels and maybe + another 8 channels sidecar in the future. Yes!, also works like 500 series rack but with some added features like MasterBuss, Monitor out, maybe aux, and a pair headphone amps.

I have some newbie question on your build.
- Is the signal Balanced till the mixbuss?
- do you mind if I see your schematic after the EQ?

Thank you

Ipin

Last edited:
After tx's, sends can leave the desk in a balanced state, however API EQ/returns are typically made unbalanced to feed panpot, aux & mix bus ACA's.
Thanks Boji!
Yer, thats what my plans is. All the 500 modules have their own (Balanced) In/Out and go to Faders --> (Unbalanced) Pan --> Aux/Monitor/MixBuss. I hope it makes sense.
Can I use Joel's Palpigrade to make it Unbalanced?

Cheers

- Ipin

Last edited:
Can I use Joel's Palpigrade to make it Unbalanced?
If your runs are +5m long, and/or are leaving the confines of the mixer frame, a Palpigrade at the receiving end might help reduce noise.
If not, simply run the cold leg of the tx's secondary to ground, the hot leg is your unbalanced signal.

If your runs are +5m long, and/or are leaving the confines of the mixer frame, a Palpigrade at the receiving end might help reduce noise.
If not, simply run the cold leg of the tx's secondary to ground, the hot leg is your unbalanced signal.
Thanks Boji.

Im not using transformer end for my Eq on the board, I'm planning to use 500series 169 eq. Is it ok to ground the negative out leg from the 169, and just take the positive leg to the Fader? like in the schematic below. Sorry for the hassle 😅

Cheers

- Ipin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 0
Im not using transformer end for my Eq on the board, I'm planning to use 500series 169 eq
Old API EQ's provide +6dB out which drives the fader and allows some 'in hand' gain above 0db. Looks like you have a gain of 3 for the 5534. What's the 169's output? -12db?

Maybe the Palp's can be modified for above unity gain. I'd suggest having a chat with Joe about it.
Or, if you wish to include line inserts that can bypass the EQ and go directly to the channel faders, consider a 1570+1246 pair as shown in these design notes? It would allow for phase reversal as well.

-Boji

Last edited:
Hi Guys, and sorry on my delay...

I saw your comments today!

It is passed 3 years from building that board...that was the long journey!

I use this board most for recording, it is some kind of API 1604 clone Ipin, Kingcredie, only have 8 lines(325) strips and 16 preamps(312) strips.

Practically I use original Api schematics from EQ to Fader Ipin, Kingcredie.....I think it was 528 channel strip schematics and I get here on forum.

And think I Balanced EQ to Fader....API 2623 can be used for this purpose!

And it is works great...

Last edited:
Old API EQ's provide +6dB out which drives the fader and allows some 'in hand' gain above 0db. Looks like you have a gain of 3 for the 5534. What's the 169's output? -12db?

Maybe the Palp's can be modified for above unity gain. I'd suggest having a chat with Joe about it.
Or, if you wish to include line inserts that can bypass the EQ and go directly to the channel faders, consider a 1570+1246 pair as shown in these design notes? It would allow for phase reversal as well.

-Boji

Thanks Boji!

I dont know what the 169 output 😅, I'll find out.

I'll think about this one (THAT 1570-1246), it's different than my plans, but its good one.
I'm thinking about simple circuit to make the signal unbalanced if I want to add Fader and Pan.

Or maybe something like Audiox Balanced to Unbalanced circuit below, and maybe change the value of R5 to match unity gain?

Cheers

- Ipin

Attachments

• Balanced Unbalanced Audiox.jpg
    Balanced Unbalanced Audiox.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 0
Hi Guys, and sorry on my delay...

I saw your comments today!

It is passed 3 years from building that board...that was the long journey!

I use this board most for recording, it is some kind of API 1604 clone Ipin, Kingcredie, only have 8 lines(325) strips and 16 preamps(312) strips.

Practically I use original Api schematics from EQ to Fader Ipin, Kingcredie.....I think it was 528 channel strip schematics and I get here on forum.

And think I Balanced EQ to Fader....API 2623 can be used for this purpose!

And it is works great...
Hi Ivan. What a desk!!!
I didn't notice its an old thread haha
Thank you! Also the schematic.. I'll learn about it.

My plans are not that far like yours, I think 😅 yours is massive!! mine are just like 500 series box with some added Faders - Pans - monitor - L/R.

Thanks Ivan

- Ipin

Latest posts

Back