Overdive circuit in parallel (wet/dry)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintan

I plan to build a simple overdrive circuit with a buffered wet/dry pot at the output. I'm thinking opamp based with diodes in the feedback similar to the tube screamer and others. However these circuits need some filtering to sound good which induce phase shifts that may be problematic with the parallel wet/dry idea.

One idea might be to compensate the phase shift with some kind of all-pass circuit. Ideally I would like to have a tone control of the overdriven signal but this would also mean the phase will shift differently..

Another idea is to build an overdrive preamp with tubes instead and skip the wet/dry thing.

Any thoughts?

I have found when messing with efx, you need to speculate less and melt more solder...

Some circuits that I speculated about did not sound remotely like I expected on the bench.

JR

flintan said:
I plan to build a simple overdrive circuit with a buffered wet/dry pot at the output. I'm thinking opamp based with diodes in the feedback similar to the tube screamer and others. However these circuits need some filtering to sound good which induce phase shifts that may be problematic with the parallel wet/dry idea.
Most EQ's are minimum-phase, and introduce significantly less than 90° phase-shift. As a result the input and output combine positively because they are in the same quadrant. No weird effect.

Any thoughts?
Don't overthink.

Back