Studer Desk Chassis Metal Type

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2d2

Hi all

Somebody know the Studer desk chassis is standard aluminum or "dedicated" specific type ?
thanks in advance for any post about !
cheers

Hi

For what I know (and have in hand).
Most visible part are in the standard natural anodized alu finish we know (for 70' series x89 and x69) and powdercoated after that (9xx)
For inside structure it's mainly alu with mat finish, can't say what specific type of anodizing it is.
There is also some steel plate and rail with this yellow/gold aspect, IIRC zinc bichromated
The early x89 series use aluminium fusion frame !

Best
Zam

zamproject said:
Hi

For what I know (and have in hand).
Most visible part are in the standard natural anodized alu finish we know (for 70' series x89 and x69) and powdercoated after that (9xx)
For inside structure it's mainly alu with mat finish, can't say what specific type of anodizing it is.
There is also some steel plate and rail with this yellow/gold aspect, IIRC zinc bichromated
The early x89 series use aluminium fusion frame !

Best
Zam

Much thanks for post , Zam !
then no specific metal alloys ?

cheers

ps:
much compliments for the very nice moving faders automation !  :eek:

It seems there is a division according to countries/culture regarding which alloy is favoured in electronic products.
It seems like 6061 is the most popular in the US...
In France, and I would think it's the same for most surrounding countries, including Switzerland, Germany... so-called AG3 (5754) is the most common.
It can be bent and punched easily, takes anodization extremely well, but is somewhat a challenge to mill.
However, I have favoured AU4G (2017A), also called "duralumin", for side cheeks and connector panels. It cannot be bent (very rigid), doesn't take anodization well, but is very easy to machine (chip doesn't stick).
I had to order custom punches for the Amada punch press because the standard ones are not strong enough.
6060 (AGS) is THE standard alloy for extrusions.

abbey road d enfer said:
It seems there is a division according to countries/culture regarding which alloy is favoured in electronic products.
It seems like 6061 is the most popular in the US...
In France, and I would think it's the same for most surrounding countries, including Switzerland, Germany... so-called AG3 (5754) is the most common.
It can be bent and punched easily, takes anodization extremely well, but is somewhat a challenge to mill.
However, I have favoured AU4G (2017A), also called "duralumin", for side cheeks and connector panels. It cannot be bent (very rigid), doesn't take anodization well, but is very easy to machine (chip doesn't stick).
I had to order custom punches for the Amada punch press because the standard ones are not strong enough.
6060 (AGS) is THE standard alloy for extrusions.

this post is something like a topic relative Wiki ,
so thanks about !!
cheers

zamproject said:
Hi r2

May I ask for what you ask this ?
Studer desk restoration/repair ?

Best
Zam

Of course Zam ,
a friend want a (19") side extension for place a couple of bantam patch bays
for manage inserts and outboards chains ,