Big sur OS

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Keeping up with the Jones...

New Mac OS

tons of e-mails not to update as software is not compatible with it yet.

Do you want current or stability.

tough calls to make.  Hard to explain to a client why their system is fine and not needing to be current when they want current which will cause  their audio software to not work. ESH....

It's hard to get off the upgrade train because it moves so fast and never stops...

Got off at Catalina and hitched a ride back to Mojave because Cat-town had no drivers for my Apogee 64 PCIe card...WTF its a bus architecture...

Apogee was like "Dude, use it USB it's fine" except its not.

it moves faster then most can afford.

the moment you buy you are outdated. then what, I always recommend to find a OS and software and stick with it for at least 2 years by then most have made enough money to do it all over again.  ;)

john12ax7 said:
I never understood the obsession with updating software that currently works.

Shiny and new. Today I was on a tech job where the studio did not know how to use their tielines to go from room to room. it's only been a few years since the place approved the then design plans and wiring layouts, they never really used it until now.  their lead recording guy didn't understand what he approved. tis a living but never understood how one can use equipment or a setup without knowing the why it all works. That was something installed to me long ago when I first start, know how the machinery works so you do not injure anyone.  But back  to OS and keeping up with the jones, yeah it's always those who are not entirely sure of how it all works who want to keep updating for shiny and new.

Maybe explain to them the DAW is like other studio gear. Would they constantly try and tweak / upgrade their mic pres knowing that with each one it might stop working and the session comes to a stand still?

My DAW is offline,  upgrades and updates are a rare occurrence..

i upgraded my macbook and never had more problems. instantly reverted it. on my daw i am still running high sierra without any problems. never change a running system..

john12ax7 said:
I never understood the obsession with updating software that currently works.

Eventually you stop getting security updates and you become highly vulnerable. Granted that's usually a decade or more, not every couple of years.

I'm on a 2012 mac and can't upgrade my OS anymore -- how long before I MUST replace this to continue to be safe on the interwebz? I don't really have the space for two computers, and I don't have the inclination to switch from Logic if I build a PC instead. It bothers me because I tend to keep computers until they are unusable, but in this case the computer does everything else I need it to.

The demand for Big Sur was so immense today, Apple's authentication server went down for over an hour. Resulting in the Appstore, Apple online store, Maps and even Zoom falling to pieces.

Also resulting in an unknown number of users not being able to open any non-Apple application on their beloved Macs.

The cloud showing it's real face: no redundancy at all.

The thing that caused it: Someone in the mothership forgot to check if all nodes of the CDN had a Big Sur copy before releasing the mobs on them. In this case, only ONE copy was available,  located at the mothership. Result: a large scale DDOS attack on the mothership, where The Almighty Authentication Server lives.

And first reports about problems with drivers are coming in.

Why do we think everything needs to go faster?

midwayfair said:
Eventually you stop getting security updates and you become highly vulnerable. Granted that's usually a decade or more, not every couple of years.

Latest system -2 still gets sec updates.

A Snow Leopard Mac is very probably safer on today's internet than one running the latest and greatest. Unless you are a target. There are no mass exploits out there. The 0.7% of Macs still running Snow are insignificant, so nobody targets them.

I'm on a 2012 mac and can't upgrade my OS anymore -- how long before I MUST replace this to continue to be safe on the interwebz? I don't really have the space for two computers, and I don't have the inclination to switch from Logic if I build a PC instead. It bothers me because I tend to keep computers until they are unusable, but in this case the computer does everything else I need it to.

Big Sur is only important for the next gen beta testers. Those who will buy the new ARM Macs. If you're on Intel, there's nothing interesting in it. As long as your OS supports the software you need, there's no reason to upgrade. Not even security.

When your OS no longer supports the latest browser, that's the time to upgrade for security reasons. Browsers are complex, leaky bastards and there's always about a dozen of current exploits for them. It just takes a few weeks before these exploits turn up in automated tools for the wannabe hackers. Compared to a browser, the OS is a watertight fortress...

Even some Linux versions have telemetry.

What Apple doesn't do, I believe, is sell your data to third parties.

All the others do, with exception of hardcore security oriented stuff, like Kali Linux, or Qubes. A lot of other privacy oriented distro's don't have telemetry, or you can disable it at the very least.

The leakiest piece of software you use, is still the browser. No matter what OS you use.

cyrano said:
What Apple doesn't do, I believe, is sell your data to third parties.
Read again, the data is collected by a different company. Additionally it is sent unencrypted. Microsoft have given the FBI access to Hotmail accounts in the past, and worked together with the NSA. Why would Apple act differently given the proper circumstances. Relying on their goodwill is foolish.

cyrano said:
Even some Linux versions have telemetry.

All the others do, with exception of hardcore security oriented stuff, like Kali Linux, or Qubes. A lot of other privacy oriented distro's don't have telemetry, or you can disable it at the very least.

The leakiest piece of software you use, is still the browser. No matter what OS you use.
There is a triple digit number of Linux distributions, I am not enthusiastic enough about OSs to review them all. But the assumption of "they do it all too" is a very bad misrepresentation of facts, and never a good defense no matter which topic. The typical user is a lot more sensible to these issues, this is definitely not a widespread practice and can't just get past the open source community. The ones I know have the possibility to opt out (or not opt in in the first place). The Canonical case just proves not to trust companies once again.
Also, Linux is completely open, you can do anything to it you want. Don't like a distribution, choose another one. It does something you don't like, change it. Mac OS on the other hand is a walled garden ecosystem that robs the user of freedom and privacy under the pretence of security and comfort.

Browsers can be made lot safer too without going to Tor. Randomize fingerprints, ...

That's not what I wrote, Volker.

All the OSes that collect data, also sell that data to aggregators.

Apple doesn't. They keep that data strictly to themselves.

That's the difference.

Of course, "They all do it" is a wild exaggeration. That's why I added exceptions. I'll try to word it better, as it was open to misinterpretation, clearly. Sorry for that.

cyrano said:
That's not what I wrote, Volker.

All the OSes that collect data, also sell that data to aggregators.

Apple doesn't. They keep that data strictly to themselves.

That's the difference.

Of course, "They all do it" is a wild exaggeration. That's why I added exceptions. I'll try to word it better, as it was open to misinterpretation, clearly. Sorry for that.
Again, how can you be sure of that? You seem to ignore the fact that I've repeated from the article, that the data is collected by a third company, not Apple. And concerning the non-encrypted nature of it: it would be absolutely trivial for any employer for example to log that information of all its workers on their network. With everything we've learned from the Snowden revelations and other privacy scandals over the last years (here is a recent one) I find the position to just hope for the best with Apple rather naïve to be honest. Not to speak of how the data collection is ok in the first place... You're kind of proving my point from my first post.

Latest posts

Back