GroupDIY on IRC?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as much as I LOVE IRC - low bandwidth, efficienct chat etc, it might be easier and more productive to use discord.
Much more media sharing capabilities, history is stored, admin rights etc.

Discord is basically IRC on steroids, brough forth 20 years.

Whoops said:
I dont use IRS since 1998, so I really don't know...

Same here...

I just downloaded HexChat and joined a couple of channels, wow! a blast from the past! brings back memories, I used to know many commands now I'm completely blank

Which servers/channels do you recommend?

user 37518 said:
Same here...

I just downloaded HexChat and joined a couple of channels, wow! a blast from the past! brings back memories, I used to know many commands now I'm completely blank

Which servers/channels do you recommend?

I mostly hang out on Freenode, but I am on some other servers as well.

I just created a channel called #GroupDIY on freenode.

I wouldnt mind joining in on the realtime chat idea,
I'll check out that freenode page ,
I'll just use a name similar to here for simplicity

Both the other guys are on the American continent so probably not around until a bit later ,
Not far off Weissbier o clock here in Ireland so I'll drop over soon , around 9 my time . 

Ricardus said:
It's just a cool way for quick real time communication. Like if someone had a question and there were people there they could get it quick.
A good receipe for proferring things that are instantly regretted... :)
I like the slowness of structured written communication.

Slowness of structure...
theres a time for that  ,still doesnt mean everybody thinks through what they say .
Quick fire repartee brings its own dynamic to the convo too though along with the chance an off the cuff remark cuts a little too deep. Lifes a bit of roller coaster ride at the best of times  light /dark rough/smooth plus/minus .

I began my online wanderings in the 1980's with bulletin boards and Compuserve.  25 years ago  I was an internet newbie using my 56K dialup modem and a local ISP in Okla. City.  Browser was Netscape (and I had to purchase a copy from a computer store.  $35 IIRC).

I soon discovered IRC and ended up running a shareware app called mIRC.  Many fascinating discussions on many different channels.

Eons since I was on IRC, but I recall MANY different servers, each with hundreds of channels.  No idea how to tinker with this in year 2020.  mIRC went away from my apps after more than a few PC changes during the past two decades.

OK...I'm now an IRC (re)newbie again.  Hints are appreciated.

Bri

PS...I recall there were certain folks called "OPs" who had some controls on the channels.  Getting to be an OP was a badge of confidence since they protected the channel from a takeover by a bad person who would kick/ban everyone off and lock down the channel.  It used to be a Wild West sort of thing.

Latest posts

Back