Irish Government ID card doesnt hold up to X-ray

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

So between the jigs and reels of it I wound up having to submit to the equivalent of a 'full facial'  in governmental recognition terms  :(
My card arrives  promptly enough under the circumstances , accompanying letter reads "this card does not contain your data on a chip but data is contained on the magnetic strip on the back of the card , you will be notified if this card requires replacement."

Naked eye reveals an indent in the bottom left hand side of the card ,closer inspection under strong backlight shows a contactless rfid and antenna is in fact incorporated after all ,

Well, if Im being diverted from the fact that the chip is in there in the first place and its not used anyway,the magnetic strip  provides the required data ,  I can safely disable the RFID permanently to my own satisfaction and it shouldnt impact on me in any way ,thats a fair assumption right?

Attachments

• ID.jpg
    ID.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 29
That does not mean the chip contains data. All RFID cards usually contain is a single unique number which is used to look up your data in a secure database.

Cheers

Ian

What they meant to say is: "This card does not contain your data, however, it contains a remotely readable unique number that links to your data in our online database"
;D

Thanks gentlemen,

Its been a never ending tale of half truths and misdirection right from the beginning with this card, nothing changes. 
Theres several public trust issues boiling away in a pressure cooker here over the last while including an appointment to the supreme court that threatens the stability of the coalition , where there's smoke there's fire. 

So........  it became time to pick up my statutory entitlements for the first time in four years,

I went to the local Postoffice , they have a modern keypad/smartcard/contactless and magnetic card reader on the customer side of the glass which I was expecting to be asked to use  , to my surprise she needed to swipe the magnetic strip in the same old style reader thats been used for years on her side of the counter. So its is indeed as they say ,they dont use the RFID section of the card during the post office transaction , yet  :)

In the case of a person entitled to free travel the Rfid is configured as a token for public transport , if thats not used we can safely disable the chip permanently .Do be cognisant damaging government property (including an ID card ) might land you in 'schtook' in some jurisdictions , so do your homework before striking the killer blow.
In the case of other contactless cards you want to kill  a sharp dead blow with a drift in the vicinity of the chip should render it useless with minimal surface damage. 

Latest posts

Back