Great new book on classical recording

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

I just recieved my copy of this fantastic new book :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Classical-Recording-Practical-Tradition-Engineering/dp/0367312808/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

This book is a great work on recording classical instruments but the techniques could be applied to other fields of recording acoustic instruments.    Written by people at the top of the game.

Fantastic, thanks for the heads up Rob.
I've been delving into a lot of the recordings from the 'Golden Age' - particularly by Decca and EMI - for the last year or so, & this looks like it'll answer more than a few questions I've had.
Cheers :)

Winston O'Boogie said:
Fantastic, thanks for the heads up Rob.
I've been delving into a lot of the recordings from the 'Golden Age' - particularly by Decca and EMI - for the last year or so, & this looks like it'll answer more than a few questions I've had.
Cheers :)

Very probably.

My father was a recording engineer for RCA in NYC back in the 1950s.

I recall as a kid seeing a lacquer cut outtake of a famous conductor cursing out a symphony orchestra (in Italian) for blowing the take (among his personal collection). AFAIK they were recording direct to disc back then, while RCA was already selling commercial open reel classical recordings (mono). Some of those old tapes were quite listenable but I haven't had access to an open reel machine since the 70s.

JR

Latest posts

Back