Daven Attenuator compatibility question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMan

GDIY Supporter
Hi All,

I've got this Daven T 600/600 attenuator that I picked up awhile back, thinking I would eventually find some use for it.  I was imagining using it in something like a BA6A.

Here's my question:

Using the BA6A as an example, the circuit calls for a 600/600 T-type attenuator on the output, with 20 steps of 2 dB.  Now, everything about mine matches this, except that mine is 30 steps of 1 dB.  Is there any reason that this wouldn't work as a substitute?  I recognize that due to the difference in the steps, the response of the control knob would be different, and I would have 10dB less attenuation possible, but given that the impedance and circuit type are the same, could I swap this in instead without causing any huge issues?

Attachments

• IMG_1549.JPG
    IMG_1549.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 20
JMan said:
mine is 30 steps of 1 dB.
You have a more valuable version!  Maybe the one people are desperate to have for UA limiter restorations or 'exact' clones.    Me, I'd stick a cheaper Daven 500 or 600 ladder on a BA-6A.  Automatic 6dB pad and the loading is built in, unlike the T. 

EmRR said:
You have a more valuable version!  Maybe the one people are desperate to have for UA limiter restorations or 'exact' clones.    Me, I'd stick a cheaper Daven 500 or 600 ladder on a BA-6A.  Automatic 6dB pad and the loading is built in, unlike the T.

Now that's interesting news indeed!

I haven't actually started to build anything yet, so I can certainly plan to use a ladder instead.  Was thinking of doing the Drip version, since I've had that board sitting around for a long time and I haven't done anything with it, and his BOM calls for a T-style attenuator.  I actually am not very familiar with how these attenuator types work/differ from one another, so I was going to just play it safe and go with his recommendation, but I'm always up for learning something new!

I also looked at the BA6A schematic again after posting, and it turns out the input is 20 steps of 2 dB (a dual 25k ladder, from what I can tell), but the output is 20 steps of 1 dB, so the one I've got is still off, just in the other direction from what I initially thought.  ;D

Latest posts

Back