Audio gear DIY question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

producerxtr

Hi guys,

I have often seen that for soldering audio gear parts, a 60/40 Rosin Core Solder should be used. My question is that, if the 60 is the Lead or Tin?

Can someone with PROPER knowledge clarify the percentages for Sn and Pb respectively?

Cheers,

Tom

ruffrecords said:
60% is tin, 40% is lead (sometimes the flux content is listed also)

Cheers

Ian

Hi, thanks for the reply.
So a Kester 44 60/40 means that the flux content is 44, Tin is 60 and Lead is 40. Sm I correct?

The 44 is not a percentage,  it refers to the type of flux.  The other numbers are percentages.  You' can have 44 60/40, 44 63/37, etc.

The datasheets will usually give your all the relevant info.

warpie said:

Same question here, why? If used for industry then needs to be lead free, for diy it is simpler with lead/tin most of us use.
I find it important solder also has right amount of good flux. A lot of such information can be found online. Good luck.

Whoops said:
Lead Free solder is just plain "CRAP"
Actually, some are less crappy than others...
I just bought a cheap iron that includes a tin dispenser actuated with a pistol-like trigger. The solder that was included, composition unknown, just says lead-free, is actually not too bad. I suspect the flux is pretty good.

Whoops said:
Lead Free solder is just plain "CRAP"
Kester lead free solder is great. Been using it since 2014 or so and none of the joints have failed or grown the mythical tin whiskers.
Kester K100LD, get a thin gauge. Set your iron a little hotter than you did for leaded solder. It's just the same. The only difference is that 'good' solder joints look a tiny bit different kind of shiny than leaded solder good shiny joints.
I'm over arguing about lead in solder, lets discuss VI vs Emacs instead.

Back