19" rack mounting holes specifications

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john12ax7

There does not seem to be a standard for the size and location of rack mountings holes  Or rather there is a standard,  that most audio companies don't seem to follow.  The spec I've found calls for 0.268 x  0.406" inch obround holes spaced 18.312" apart.  But the gear and racks I have measured are all over the place.

So as a practical matter, what are good dimensions to use for audio rack gear?  The. 268 x. 406 hole seems rather unnecessarily oversized given #10 screws.

Donno but I made two racks once and the rails I bought were either very poorly tapped or the thread wasn't what I thought. I re-tapped them but now a few holes stripped out from over-tightening.

john12ax7 said:
There does not seem to be a standard for the size and location of rack mountings holes  Or rather there is a standard,  that most audio companies don't seem to follow.  The spec I've found calls for 0.268 x  0.406" inch obround holes spaced 18.312" apart.  But the gear and racks I have measured are all over the place.

So as a practical matter, what are good dimensions to use for audio rack gear?  The. 268 x. 406 hole seems rather unnecessarily oversized given #10 screws.
I used 0.236x0.354 holes spaced 18.29". Nobody ever complained.

john12ax7 said:

Are you making a face plate, or rack?

Most face plates use slots to accommodate imprecise location.

JR

There is a specification for it. Not surprisingly it is many years old. I have a copy on order. When I get it I wi;; post the part that covers these holes.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back