1KHz 0dBu pocket generator

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally found a suitable box for the pocket oscillator and had a proper front panel made for it. I have updated the documentation on my web site to include the fpd file for the front panel and some pics showing how it all goes together. All the info is under this tab:

https://www.customtubeconsoles.com/diy

Just scroll down and click on the PocketOsc folder. I still have some of the original batch of PCBs left. As there is an error on them I am letting them go for the price of shipping.

Edit: the box I used is made by Camden Boss type number BIM4004

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I finally found a suitable box for the pocket oscillator
Cute. I built something similar a while back, though the frequency was adjustable. http://valvewizard.co.uk/siggen.html
siggen.jpg

Rob Flinn said:
Hi Ian,

A quick question.  Is there any reason in particular that a TL072 is specified ?  Power consumption perhaps ?  I was thinking that if one used a 5532 then the box would have a bit more drive capabilty ?
It's cheap, does the job and does not consume much power. The output consists of a TL072 feeding  a 150R resistor in series with a 15K resistor and a nother 150R resistor to ground. The 0dBu output comes after the first 150R so the source impedance is about 150R. This is designed to drive a line input so the load will be about 10K - well within the capability of the TL072. The -40dBu output comes from across the bottom 150R resistor so again the source impedance looks close to 150R which is probably what you want if feeding a typical mic pre with 1500 ohms or more input impedance.

Bottom line, unless you want the 0dBu output to drive a 600 ohm load then you do not really need a 5532. I am sure it would work fine instead of a TL072 but I am not sure how long the battery would last driving 600 ohms.

Cheers

Ian

Interesting thread. I've been working on a similar project for some time: sine test oscillator (Wien based), +4dBu/-40dBu @ 150R output. I've been aiming for low distortion and low power. The oscillator itself consumes around 150uA and spits out a 1kHz sine with around 0.05% THD+N. I think I can shave off another 20uA.

The output driver is still a bit too power hungry, I'm aiming for a quiescent of less than 1mA. The output is transformer isolated so I don't need to worry about phantom power.

Neil

Latest posts

Back