Where are we getting tubes and blank rack cases in the USA these days?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreams

After buying a rather disappointing round of tubes from one popular website, and after receiving a rather disappointing and months late response from par-metal, I'm wondering where people are getting this stuff from, here at the tail end of this... disappointing year.

I've looked around a bit, but hearing of some positive *recent* experiences would be awesome. Seems like maybe some folks have left the game lately

Thanks

ruffrecords said:
Are you after NOS tubes or current production? I have always found NOS tubes a disappointment.

I'm after NOS in this case. I don't have much choice though; no one makes what i need anymore, as far as I'm aware

musika said:
Antique Electronic Supply is another good source.

This was the spot i was disappointed in....

ruffrecords said:
Are you after NOS tubes or current production? I have always found NOS tubes a disappointment.

That's interesting - I've always, on several occasions, no exceptions, had the exact opposite experience. Only sensible explanation is that we probably use the tubes in very different ways..?

/Jakob E.

Isn't it harder to get good NOS tubes these days since most of the good stuff has been picked through?  My results in guitar amps have ranged from "dissapointing" to "wow that sounds great"

gyraf said:
That's interesting - I've always, on several occasions, no exceptions, had the exact opposite experience. Only sensible explanation is that we probably use the tubes in very different ways..?

/Jakob E.
Well I was looking for low noise and microphonics ECC883/12AX7 tubes. I have a Lindos test set with a built in speaker so you can hear the noise and listen to microphonics as you tap the tube with a pencil. You can hear loose grid wires vibrating and the pings as the tube heats up and cools down.I tested dozens of NOS and current production tubes this way. The NOS tubes were very inconsistent with very few samples having low enough noise and microphonics for my purposes. I found the most consistently low noise/microphonic tube is the current production Sovtek 12AX7WB.

Some years prior to that I was using 6CG7 tubes in my designs and these are only available NOS. I purchased well over a hundred and characterised them all for noise, microphonics and distortion. I even wrote a paper comparing the distortion of types with different internal constructions. Once again, as far as noise and microphonics was concerned there was a wide variation with perhaps 10% of the tubes making the grade.

I would be interested to hear about your own experience Jakob.

Cheers

Ian

gyraf said:

Back when I was involved in buying tubes, (either smallish batches for myself, or massive stock for U.A.) NOS were always better in my experience too.     

Recently I bought 100 pcs. JJ Electronic EF806 tubes, intended for microphones.
About 15% I couldn't use, because they were way too noisy or out of spec...

Although I wasn't using them in microphones, in EF86 land when used in mic amps, I had good luck with Dario Philips EF86, and Tesla old stock EF806S valves.  They used to be available in large quantities but I don't now the current situation

At U.A., we were able to secure around 7000 NOS military boxed 6072's in 2000, I very much doubt that's possible now.

However, there are still lots of very good NOS valves available if you aren't stuck using the same base pinout or if you're prepared to go off the beaten path. 

ruffrecords said:
Some years prior to that I was using 6CG7 tubes in my designs and these are only available NOS. I purchased well over a hundred and characterised them all for noise, microphonics and distortion. I even wrote a paper comparing the distortion of types with different internal constructions. Once again, as far as noise and microphonics was concerned there was a wide variation with perhaps 10% of the tubes making the grade.

Ian, I would love to read that paper if it's handy. Have been working with 6CG7 recently myself.

I'm obviously not Ian but I have a little experience using the 6CG7.

Before the Chandler RS.124, I converted around 40 Altec 436's to the EMI RS.124 unit, and put together a commercial unit for a friend which was closely based on the same design - I think maybe around 60 of those were built but ?

Anyway, the output valve is/was a 6CG7 and, buying them from the usual suspects, I would always receive a mixed lot - Some were RCA, some GE etc.
The were not, on the whole, consistent.

It's been said that the 6CG7 is just a 6SN7 in compact form.  While this true as far as general specs, I've not yet found a 6CG7 that had measured distortion as good as the best 6SN7's of which some can be frighteningly good.

However, good 6SN7's are also rare and expensive now so maybe that last point is moot.

In new valves, I had good luck in the past with the ECC99 as an output valve that needed some some current.  I've read that a few folks thought that they suffered from "dirty" cathodes but, I never found this to be so.  Anyway, if you look at the graph and plot your load line, you see a pretty linear valve.  I also found both halves were quite well matched, certainly good enough for push-pull Rock 'n' Roll and government work.

Just my $0.02 opinion of course.

On E88CC/6922 types, I built maybe 100+. REDD.47 amps which use this valve.

I was never a fan of the distortion spectra of the E88CC but, since I was building clones, so be it.

I usually tried to find batches of old Mullard and also found the old gold pin Tesla's were nice.

Of the new variants made in Russia, I found they all exaggerated the bits I didn't like about the valve in general.  Although some were better than others.

Unless you're needing large quantities, I think it's worthwhile as a DIYer to search out a few good examples of NOS valves.  The extra expense isn't usually prohibitive in the scheme of buying chassis, transformers and all the bits and bobs.

On the REDD.47, I usually went Tesla EF806s (old Tesla) for input,  and Mullard or old Tesla for E88CC output.

About $35 total valves cost per unit back then.  Probably closer to $50 now.

P.S.  Sorry for the lengthy slightly off-topic posts, I'll try harder next time ;)

I meant to also say I'd love to read your paper on the 6CG7 tests Ian, is there a link?

I'm bumping this thread for the OP because I think I killed it off with my rambling, and nothing I said even helped answer the original question. 

Anyone?

Latest posts

Back