Neewer SDC microphones

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

Out of curiosity, I ordered a pair of Neewer pencil microphones. (Though 'Ali')
I paid 73 Euros, including shipping.
The microphones are remarkably good and are delivered with 3 capsule heads: omni, cardioid en hyper cardioid.
Microphone capsules are electrets, but they sound good. Microphone bodies are made of brass.
Self noise is specified as 24 dBa, but from what I hear the self noise must be lower than that.
Electronics measure flat down to 30 Hz. Circuit looks like the well known 'Schoeps' schematic.
I think it is a good deal, especially with the six capsule heads.
It seems the price is a bit 'elastic', it varies from day to day...

Attachments

• Neewer.JPG
    Neewer.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 101
These seem to be the same as the iSK Little Gem and Lyxpro SDPC2. In my experience the iSK Little Gem was certainly quite noisy. Definitely over 20 dBA, but maybe it's inconsistent quality control, or maybe the Neewer is better quality for some reason. Glad to hear someone has a good experience with them though, almost makes me want to give the Neewer version a shot.

If anyone is wondering I never got any interference on mine, though I did only point them at a couple computers, my router and modem, cell phones, and anything else in my house that could cause interference. If you were to try to use these as spot mics for a play or something, or for a cheap backup mic for videography I'm sure there's a chance to pick up interference.

I will say that for the price the super cardioid had pretty good rejection from the quick tests I did. I don't recall comparing them to my MK-012s in that sense, though I did compare them (Little Gem version) on axis. No contest, but one is $50 with 3 capsules and one is $230 with one capsule.

I'd also love to see a measurement, since I don't trust the frequency response charts from iSK and Neewer.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend buying them individually from iSK given my experience, but the Neewer samples I've heard haven't been too bad. Usable at the very least and not as noisy. The electronics looked decent to my eyes, a bunch of film caps, I think there's a picture of the PCB in my iSK Little Gem thread.

This is a sample of them that is more or less what I experienced. Though I think my Little Gems were noisier https://youtu.be/JWdkhkGafOI

In general, I am pretty critical when it comes to self noise of microphones.
The Neewer NW-410 set I have here now, is very 'quiet'.
I once had a set of Samson CO2 microphones here, that I have sent back to the seller the same day I received them... They were so noisy that you had the impression that you were standing close to Niagara Falls...

I measured the capsules of the NW-410 set and the conclusion is that capsules of the same sort (omni, cardiod etc.) are not really identical. Certainly no 'matched pairs'. But nevertheless good enough for a lot of applications.
(The differences were most obvious at lower frequencies.)

RuudNL said:
In general, I am pretty critical when it comes to self noise of microphones.
The Neewer NW-410 set I have here now, is very 'quiet'.
I once had a set of Samson CO2 microphones here, that I have sent back to the seller the same day I received them... They were so noisy that you had the impression that you were standing close to Niagara Falls...

I measured the capsules of the NW-410 set and the conclusion is that capsules of the same sort (omni, cardiod etc.) are not really identical. Certainly no 'matched pairs'. But nevertheless good enough for a lot of applications.
(The differences were most obvious at lower frequencies.)
I remember you mentioning the Samson C02s in the Little Gem thread I made. My Little Gems were probably close to the C02 in noise level, maybe not "Niagara Falls" bad, but certainly audible. The samples I can find are all over the place. Some are pretty quiet, as in I would guess they're sitting at around 20 dBA or so, and some are really noisy like what I had. That's to be expected when a 3 capsule mic costs $50. My test was basically throw it up against something that I'm familiar with the self noise of, and they had much more audible noise than my MK-012s, and just a lot of general audible hiss, so I sold them. The capsules on the Little Gems weren't the nicest either, but I've pretty good sounding ones on the NW410s. The Little Gems definitely had a brighter but somewhat muffled sound compared to the iSK Pearl and Oktava MK-012 (though I didn't expect much comparing them to the latter).

I've heard varying degrees of quality between the cardioid and supercardioid capsules in tests too. Some where they're almost identical, and some where the supercardioid has noticeably better side rejection (which was my experience as well). Of course I don't trust YouTube gear tests too much, but It's interesting to see different experiences with the same cheap mics.

I actually considered them as a Christmas gift for a friend who's going to doing some video projects (because they'll still be much better than camera audio), but I know they don't have a recorder or higher end camera with decent pres or anything so I figured I'd get them something else.

I do think they'd make good instrument mics though. But because they're SDCs with a supercardioid capsule most people (at least reviews and samples) seem to be looking at them as location audio mics, and iSK specifically demos the Little Gem on vocals.

Are you sure they are electrets?
They are electrets. They're identical to the iSK Little Gem (CM-10), which is also electret.
This is likely what the frequency response is like, this is a measurement from Monoprice's version of these mics which doesn't come with the supercardioid.
287F11630DD224BDA1B3F4EE9EC72240.app1_1640209062156_L1000.jpeg

Latest posts

Back