It was forty years ago today...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston OBoogie

That John Lennon has been dead for as many years as he was alive is almost incredulous to me.
I'm sure many on here remember the exact moment they heard the news.  I certainly do.

There's always been a friendly rivalry between Liverpudlians and Mancunians.  But to me, as young lad growing up in Manchester,  John Lennon was from a place just 25 miles away and that meant he was my "local hero" 

My dad woke me up early that day - 5:45 a.m. GMT - to tell me the news he'd heard on the radio as he was getting ready for work.  He instinctively knew it was something I'd need to know.

I remember going to school a little later that morning, but no way could I stick around,  it was all too much to process for my adolescent mind.  I skipped classes and spent the day walking alone along the railroad tracks until I found a quiet spot in the park to sit on the grass... 

"Strawberry Fields Forever"

Peace and Love.

Attachments

• Paul.png
    Paul.png
    241.4 KB · Views: 28
What makes you think many of us are that old, lol. I was a teenager and had a few transformer and tube amp credits to my name

analag said:
What makes you think many of us are that old, lol. I was a teenager and had a few transformer and tube amp credits to my name

Haya :D Well, maybe I'm just an old fart after alll.  I don't doubt your credits for one minute.  I, on the other hand, was a late bloomer. 
On the topic at hand, I'm interested in hearing others' memories from December 8th, 1980. 

Peace, love, and understanding brother  Rowan  X

Winston O'Boogie said:

On the topic at hand, I'm interested in hearing others' memories from December 8th, 1980. 

Peace, love, and understanding brother  Rowan  X

https://marleyarkives.wordpress.com/2012/09/15/jacob-miller-dead-1980/

One my hero's died that year too. He would have surpassed Bob Marley in many us opinion. I was in high school at the time and on my way to class when I heard of the tragedy.

Winston O'Boogie said:
That John Lennon has been dead for as many years as he was alive is almost incredulous to me.
I'm sure many on here remember the exact moment they heard the news.  I certainly do.
Doesn't seem possible does it. And such a stupid way to go. And just as he was getting his shit together. I rememeber the day. I was 30 at the time. I rememeber the tribute that day on BBC1  with Annie Nightingale crying the whole time.

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Doesn't seem possible does it. And such a stupid way to go. And just as he was getting his sh*t together. I rememeber the day. I was 30 at the time. I rememeber the tribute that day on BBC1  with Annie Nightingale crying the whole time.

A completely senseless act.  Yes I remember that tribute show with Annie Nightingale.  I had to go upstairs and watch it on the small telly in my bedroom because I was crying too and felt a bit daft in front of mum and dad.

Ricardus, yes it was Howard Cosell who announced it, I think it might have been the first announcement of his murder on network tv.  It's here:

https://youtu.be/n73GFvAyIjs

Edit: Although he wouldn't have known all the details at the time, Howard says it was 2 shots .  It turned out to have been 4 shots that hit John in the back.

Analag:  27 is SO young, what a tragedy!  I'm off to go listen to some Jacob Miller/Inner Circle now, thanks :)

Was a very revealing documentary on about John Lennons life in the US last night on Irish language tv .
Very frank and honest opinions by the people who were there on the ground including Yoko.

LennoNyc made in 2010 ,
Sad as Ian mentioned that he seemed to have turned a corner regarding drink, dope, family life and residency status in the US before being shot down in the most cowardly manner.

Latest posts

Back