Beyer Transformers For G9

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaraxisof

Hello everyone, i know some folks have used Beyer 1:5 trannies for G9 input with good results. I mostly find them in pairs, so my question is, could i use the Beyer 35536 (1:5) or 35553 (1:15) the same for input and output (backwards)? I mean (if bought in pair), 35536 for input and output, or 35553 for input and output.
1:5 and 5:1 or 1:15 and 15:1

zaraxisof said:
Hello everyone, i know some folks have used Beyer 1:5 trannies for G9 input with good results. I mostly find them in pairs, so my question is, could i use the Beyer 35536 (1:5) or 35553 (1:15) the same for input and output (backwards)? I mean (if bought in pair), 35536 for input and output, or 35553 for input and output.
1:5 and 5:1 or 1:15 and 15:1

The Beyer transformers will work as input xformer, you just have to be careful not to overdrive them. A switchable pad for loud sources is your friend. They are not suitable for the output because the level is too high

rock soderstrom said:
The Beyer transformers will work as input xformer, you just have to be careful not to overdrive them. A switchable pad for loud sources is your friend. They are not suitable for the output because the level is too high
I see. Could i use output trannies from old military radios? Read here they are rock solid indeed but most of the times a bit poor in terms of frequency response. Can we make a general diagnosis of the freq range for them? I think they could offer a decent mojo...

zaraxisof said:
I see. Could i use output trannies from old military radios? Read here they are rock solid indeed but most of the times a bit poor in terms of frequency response. Can we make a general diagnosis of the freq range for them? I think they could offer a decent mojo...

Radios are for voice transmission, so they usually have a narrow frequency range. You have to measure the transformers, then you know exactly.

https://audio.rightmark.org/index_new.shtml

Just a last question. Could this transformer be used in G9 or in any other tube circuit?

Attachments

• ST3935_2.pdf
    399.7 KB · Views: 25
zaraxisof said:
Just a last question. Could this transformer be used in G9 or in any other tube circuit?

IMHO, this generation of Haufe transformers was designed for solid state technology, not for tubes. Nevertheless, I believe that this transformer can be used for e.g. a tube commpressor as an input transformer. Watch your levels, again.

This transformer looks to me like a microphone splitter. That´d qualify it besides the original application as a mic input tranny, but surely not for line level purpose. At a tube circuit input the ratio would be too low. It might be useful in front of a BJT-Input, discreet or chip.

jensenmann said:
This transformer looks to me like a microphone splitter. That´d qualify it besides the original application as a mic input tranny, but surely not for line level purpose. In a tube circuit the ratio would be too low. It might be useful in front of a BJT-Input, discreet or chip.

There are better, but the Haufe ST3935 can handle line level. It was the input transformer TR1 in countless german broadcast distribution amps like Telefunken V682. You find them in pulks on ANT EV boards as well...

https://www.vintagetools.de/de/MEHR-KASSETTEN/TAB-TELEFUNKEN-V300-V600-Module/TELEFUNKEN-V682-6-distribution-amp.html

Attachments

• 20201212_152031.jpg
    20201212_152031.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 13
Maybe back then it was good enough for FM radio which was filtered below 50Hz anyway. So the distortion at LF didn´t seem to be too important. By today´s standard it doesn´t look too appealing to me. I want to be able to hear clean 30 Hz which this small tranny will not be able to transfer at line level.

But that doesn´t mean that it may not sound good. The bug could be the feature...

Back