Blue Bluebird to Neumann CMV563/UM57 MOD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coop

Hi All,

I recently cleaned up my mic collection and found the first ever large diaphragm condenser mic I bought. A Blue Bluebird. Did have some great time with this mic but I always found it sounded a little bit harsh.
Haven't used it in a while and I thought it would make a nice donor body for a CMV563/UM57 build.

So my idea is to implement a the UM57 circuit in the body with a nice M7 style capsule in the original head basket.

So I will basically have a Mic that looks like a CMV563, always liked the look of it, with the ability to switch between different polar patterns.

Right now I'm looking into sourcing all the components for the circuit and build a prototype point to point board and pair it with the stock Blue capsule and one of my N61 PSUs I have from my M582.

Will post some pics in the next couple of days. And I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

Best wishes,
Johannes

What tube do you plan to use?  It looks like a 12AT7 might work to replace the EC92.  The AMI UM351 seems like the transformer to use, or do you have another one in mind?  I might try building one of these next year, since I have lots of NOS 12AT7 tubes to try.

Well I think I will use a NOS Telefunken EC92. Do have one laying around from one of my M582s that I can use as a test tube.
I was thinking about the AMI UM351. But I also heard that someone used the Cinema 2480. Need to do some more research on that. Would love to find the most parts located somewhere here in Europe.

Can also use a BV08-type... If it’ll fit. I’m thinking about that (since I’ve a number of them from various manufacturers), but with an Amperex 6084 tube since I have a couple of those laying around also.

@Recording Engineer
Good to know that. There is actually a lot of space in this little mic.

@Pip
Opening it up is super easy. Just unscrew the bottom ring and you can slide of the tube.

Bought some acrylic glas and started building the prototype boards. Now I'm waiting for the rest of the parts to arrive.

Well I think I will use a NOS Telefunken EC92. Do have one laying around from one of my M582s that I can use as a test tube.
I was thinking about the AMI UM351. But I also heard that someone used the Cinema 2480. Need to do some more research on that. Would love to find the most parts located somewhere here in Europe.
DAS, digitalaudioservice.de, carries most AMI transformers. I have ordered from them a few times, always good prices too. No affiliation.

Finally had some time to order parts and work a little bit more on this project. Tube, resistors and capacitors are in place. Next step will be installing the transformer and wiring in the stock Bluebird capsule to test the mic. View attachment 87480View attachment 87481
This looks great, I would love to build this in my bv563 (alctron) maybe you could help me out with the circuit? did you ever finish it?

Finally had some time to order parts and work a little bit more on this project. Tube, resistors and capacitors are in place. Next step will be installing the transformer and wiring in the stock Bluebird capsule to test the mic. View attachment 87480View attachment 87481
Hi Coop.
Is this thread still alive?
I've been cleaning out my microphone closest and I came across a Bluebird I had forgotten about.
Did you finish this build? Anything else you'd like to share?

Looking forward to seeing your completed build.

can anyone help with a power supply for this? I would like to build one in which you could vary the voltage going to the capsule

Back