extended stay at home orders, indefinitely.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crazydoc said:
A Los Angeles hospital is so overwhelmed with COVID-19 cases that it has begun to treat some patients in the gift shop and the chapel, CNN reported Monday.
Dr. Elaine Batchlor, the CEO of Martin Luther King Jr. Community Hospital, said if cases continued to rise, the hospital might have to result to wartime techniques of rationing care.
"We may be forced to do something that, as health professionals, we all really just loathe having to even think about," Batchlor told CNN's Brooke Baldwin.

https://news.yahoo.com/los-angeles-hospital-overwhelmed-covid-014018264.html

There are more recent articles in the LA Times; paywall prevents me from reading them, but I guess MLK has discharged all their covid patients in the last few days, according to your sources.  ::)

funny the doctors  who not in management there say differently.

pucho812 said:
funny the doctors  who not in management there say differently.
Apparently the pandemic is just a huge conspiracy. Better go outside and see if the govt is spreading those chemtrails again.

Unless you have some evidence, "the doctors  who not in management there say differently," is just more social media bullshit, the same crap the ignorant have been eating up for years.

crazydoc said:
Apparently the pandemic is just a huge conspiracy. Better go outside and see if the govt is spreading those chemtrails again.

Unless you have some evidence, "the doctors  who not in management there say differently," is just more social media bullsh*t, the same crap the ignorant have been eating up for years.

Agreed. That was phrased very anecdotally. Please consider giving us the title of the person who told you that. If it's not a nurse or doctor at that hospital, then I don't know why you're even saying it.

I'd be curious how many hospitals and associated beds etc ...are in LA County...

Miami -Dade county here has about 20 hospitals ...Goofle says 14 but the FL workbook shows 20 so Idk...

Population in Miami-Dade is probably close to 3 million....

LA county has a population of over 10 million....

Edit....
Found LA county hospitals....

Jeez.... 3 of our worst counties with covid, Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami Dade have about 6million people ... There are a little over 18000 non icu beds and almost 1900 icu beds in those 3 counties....

LA County has 4 million  :eek: more people with fewer non icu beds and maybe 700 more icu beds....

MLK hospital has 20 icu beds and less than 100 other non icu beds so I'd be surprised if they were not slammed tbh....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-05-18-13-48-1.png
    Screenshot_2021-01-05-18-13-48-1.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 3
FarisElek said:
Agreed. That was phrased very anecdotally. Please consider giving us the title of the person who told you that. If it's not a nurse or doctor at that hospital, then I don't know why you're even saying it.

Especially coming from a forum member who has spread badly sourced conspiracy stuff before...

That's not an ad hominem BTW, track record does matter.

BTW, I understand they are revising the primate taxonomy due to social media and the pandemic. They've changed Homo sapiens to Homo ignoramus.

scott2000 said:
I'd be curious how many hospitals and associated beds etc ...are in LA County...

Miami -Dade county here has about 20 hospitals ...Goofle says 14 but the FL workbook shows 20 so Idk...

Population in Miami-Dade is probably close to 3 million....

LA county has a population of over 10 million....

Edit....
Found LA county hospitals....

Jeez.... 3 of our worst counties with covid, Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami Dade have about 6million people ... There are a little over 18000 non icu beds and almost 1900 icu beds in those 3 counties....

LA County has 4 million  :eek: more people with fewer non icu beds and maybe 700 more icu beds....

MLK hospital has 20 icu beds and less than 100 other non icu beds so I'd be surprised if they were not slammed tbh....
There has been a general long term cost savings trend to reduce the length of inpatient hospital stays and this trend reduces the need for beds.

One source reports the number of hospital beds in 1994 was over 900k. By 2014 the bed count was down to 780k. A different source reports that today we have 930k staffed hospital beds, so roughly the same number as 30 years ago despite population increases.

I am not suggesting this is a bad thing as medical costs are far from under control, so the sharp pencil crowd has been hard at work.

I have long been critical of the medical community for not using expert computer systems to capitalize on the collective experience of all medical professionals. Of course this is easier said than done. Data collection is one major impediment. My last doctor visit involved a face to face (mask to mask) interview while she took notes on paper. My personal experience with the medical profession has been little changed over the decades. They have some better tools and improved medicines driven by private businesses, but still haven't figured out how to use the collective experience of the entire community effectively.

We have heard numerous anecdotes about possible mitigating treatments (for COVID) that have been resisted, sometimes based on who endorsed them (appearing to be political).

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but find it increasingly difficult to trust lots of expert opinions. I learned long ago that simple answers for complex problems can be too simple.

JR   

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The crush of patients with coronavirus is so severe in Los Angeles that on Tuesday they exceeded the normal capacity at Martin Luther King Jr. Community Hospital, which serves many Blacks and Latinos in America's largest county. The hospital in the south part of the city, which has a capacity of 131 patients, was treating 215 patients, 135 of them with COVID-19, said Jeff Stout, the interim chief nursing and operating officer.

MLK has had to house patients in its former gift shop, a chapel, tents and hallways. The emergency department had 45 to 50 patients waiting for beds in the hospital Tuesday.
The hospital has a 10-bed ICU but has expanded that level of care to three sections of the hospital and is treating 36 patients.
It’s biggest problem isn’t a lack of space, but a staff shortage, mainly nurses and respiratory therapists, a common struggle for hospitals that are competing for any additional workers.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/california/articles/2021-01-05/just-1-of-californians-immunized-amid-slow-vaccine-rollout

Back